Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Apple of Your Eye

 photo 7179e8f1-6cc7-481c-ace8-9d8ef1f8bc15.jpg

This past week my husband was home with a upper respiratory virus. He has asthma so a trip to the doctor was necessary for steroids. He is improving. I felt sick for a few days, but feel better today.
This has been a hard winter and a tough season for illness.

Since January 1, I've read the following Scripture from The Transformation Study Bible, New Living Translation.
Jonah chapters 1, 2, 3, 4.
Amos chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
Hosea chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.
Micah chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
Nahum chapters 1, 2, 3.
Job chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. 
Matthew chapters 1, 2, 3, 4.
1 Corinthians chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. This is the first time to read 1 Corinthians in 2014, 11 more to go. The next translation will be from The New Testament An American Translation by Edgar J. Goodspeed.
Most of my daily Bible readings in 2013 were read from New King James Version MacArthur Study Bible and Crossway English Standard Version Study Bible. For 2014, I decided to read from a different translation at least the first time through.
I did not intend to begin this year's Bible reading with the minor prophets, but in my latest
Bible Study Magazine January/February issue, they have a few articles on the minor prophets. I thought why not start reading my Bible as I read along with the magazine articles focus: Jonah, Amos, Hosea, Micah, and Nahum. The next magazine issue will cover the other minor prophets: Zephaniah, Habakkuk, Obadiah, Haggai, Zechariah, Joel, and Malachi.
Why did I begin the new year with Job? Two reasons.
  1. Job is a difficult book to tackle at the end of the year when our eyes are on the holidays, winter, etc. 
  2. Job is an Old Testament book that prompts me in the new year to focus on who is in charge of my life: God. Profitable times or poor times, good health or poor health, sadness or joy: God is still sovereign.
The following are a few posts I've read and wanted to pass along to you:
Scripture memorization with Ann Voskamp at A Holy Experience.
Memorizing Proverbs with Liz Curtis Higgs. 
Bible Gateway Bible Reading Plans.
Wisdom for the new year, "Be Present" by Lindsee at Living Proof Ministries Blog.
How To Actually Like Reading The Bible by Natasha Crain.
Head Knowledge=Good, Heart Knowledge=Good by Tim Challies.
Good Ways to Develop Bad Theology from Reasonable Theology.
A comical definition of Bible translations from Adam4d.com.
Two stories of time-capsule history: The Forgotten Family Shoe store, a vacated Paris apartment since World War II.






No comments: