Skip to main content

The Long Goodbye


I've heard it said that it is the long goodbye, I've been saying goodbye to my mother for 11 years. Mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's during the summer of 1996, although we had suspected this diagnosis for at least 3 years. Why did it take 3 years to take mother to the doctor and to be diagnosed? I could give many excuses but the fact is we did not want to believe and accept the fact that mother had an incurable disease. My mother that could sew anything, cook and bake anything, was a whirlwind of perfection at housekeeping, and all with a smile on her face had a disease we cannot cure. My mother does not fit in with the statistics that say she was at risk for this disease; she was rarely sick, always exercised, was thin all her life, did word search puzzles, sewed, took vitamins, and she did not have any other health risks or problems. Why? Why her?
It is a hard thing, to accept a question, that does not have an answer.

Comments

Ms. Place said…
Oh, how I feel for you. I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. My mother in law was ill for 7 years, and it seemed like an eternity. I don't know which is more difficult: the waiting, or seeing a shell of the person you love.