Skip to main content

A Promise Kept

"A Promise Kept" by Robertson McQuilkin
I have not read this book, although it is on my wish list. I did watch a DVD documentary on this man about his dedication in caring for his wife for 25 years that had Alzheimer's. There were 2 things that he said that I will always remember; he said "his identity is in the LORD and not in what he does", and he asked a question "How do you define happiness? If you think that the definition means a trouble free life, than you have false expectations, because we live in a fallen world." When 2 people marry they have expectations of living a long and happy life in a paradise of love. But, sometimes the part in the marriage vows about "in sickness and in health" become a reality. My mother has had Alzheimer's for at least 17 years, the last 5 years in a nursing home. My daddy faithfully, everyday, at the same time, goes to visit my mother; it does not matter the weather, or whether he is sick, or hurting, it does not matter that my mother does not know he is there, most of the time she is asleep. Daddy is faithful, faithful to the end. This is the picture of "in sickness and in health", this is the picture of love.

Comments