Skip to main content

Psalm 91


"You who sit down in the High God's presence, spend the night in Shaddai's shadow, Say this: "God, you're my refuge. I trust in you and I'm safe!" That's right-he rescues you from hidden traps, shields you from deadly hazards. His huge outstretched arms protect you-under them you're perfectly safe; his arms fend off all harm. Fear nothing-not wild wolves in the night, not flying arrows in the day, Not disease that prowls through the darkness, not disaster that erupts at high noon. Even though others succumb all around, drop like flies right and left, no harm will even graze you. You'll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance, watch the wicked turn into corpses. Yes, because GOD's your refuge, the High God your very own home, Evil can't get close to you, harm can't get close to you, harm can't get through the door. He ordered his angels to guard you wherever you go. If you stumble, they'll catch you; their job is to keep you from falling. You'll walk unharmed among lions and snakes, and kick young lions and serpents from the path. "If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God, "I'll get you out of any trouble. I'll give you the best of care if you'll only get to know and trust me. Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times, I'll rescue you, then throw you a party. I'll give you a long life, give you a long drink of salvation!"
The Message

This is just one sample of the many chapters and verses that I had claimed for my son when he was deployed to Iraq. He was in the Army and spent 2 tours in Iraq in active combat. He is now home and out of the Army. Recently I learned that Psalm 91 is the "Soldiers Psalm". I prayed over this Psalm many times, reading it aloud not only for my own ears to hear it, but to read it aloud to my LORD and my GOD. In the NIV version verse 5-6 is "You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkenss, nor the plague that destroys at midday." I had no idea how these descriptions would be lived out in the experiences of my son. He went on many night parols, many times he had guard duty at night. One example was when he was on guard duty at night and a bullet grazed and burned the skin on his left arm, he has many, many freckles, but yet not a freckle is missing. Whew!

It is a hard, hard, hard, thing to let your child not just go, but go to where the enemy wants him dead. It is even harder to accept the reality that your child may not come back home to you. Beth Moore explained in her bible study on Daniel, that sometimes God does saves you from the fires of fear and anguish before you ever have to go through the painful experience, sometimes he saves you during the process, and sometimes you are saved by being delivered into the Fathers arms.

Comments