Skip to main content

A Tribute


This will be my first Mother's Day without my mother, the past twelve Mother's Day's have been said though, because it was in 1996 that she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It has been such a very long time since I was "mothered" by my mother. I know that this Sunday will be a sad day, but I will be with my own children, grandchildren, husband and dad, this will cushion my emotions. During all of those years that mother was sick I was so "into the moment" of what was going on, the trauma and grief of this hideous disease, and then with each further descent into the stages of this disease there was more trauma and grief. During this period of time I did not think about my wonderful past memories of mother; although now after her death I think of them often. Mother could bake the best, melt in your mouth chocolate cream pie, with meringue topping. She always baked her pie crusts from scratch. She had a large, old, cast iron skillet that she would bake homemade biscuits in. Every Sunday morning she would cook a big breakfast complete with these biscuits (eaten of course with apple butter.) She would also start our after church lunch, usually a roast, or fried chicken. I was always amazed at mother in the kitchen she knew exactly how long to stir something, how long to fry the chicken to get that great crust, she was like a whirling dervish in the kitchen, constantly moving and always with a smile on her face. She always had the dishes washed, dried, and put away after each meal. Mother loved to read, she took notes on what she read, she collected quotes and poems, she was faithful to read to me. My mother was really a night owl, she preferred to stay up late and sew, this was probably so she would not be disturbed and could just sew away into her own thoughts and enjoyment. Mother sewed many of my clothes growing up, she sewed my wedding dress, all of my maternity clothes, several of my outfits when I first went to work. How often my mother would ask me to go look at patterns and material with her at the local sewing store. Mother always had a ready smile on her face, never was she not a lady, never was she not gracious. She was a perfect grandmother, teaching and guiding, but with out ever making me feel like I did not know what I was doing. She had a perfect way of saying one line phrases like, "this to shall pass." Oh, how often when I was a young mother I would call mother on the telephone because my boy's were fighting, had gotten sick all over themselves, or it was just a trying day, and mother would calmly say, "this to shall pass." It did pass, my boy's did grow up, and my mother faded away. My mother though is forever in my heart and in my memories, I am so grateful and so blessed that I had a godly mother.
"A Christian mother's love contains
A gospel all its own,
Because the King of love has found
Her heart an ample throne."
~~Crawford~~

Comments

FlowerChild said…
MissDaisyAnne,
Your mother sounds a lot like mine. Mine has been gone since 1993. My mother used to always quote the poem, "Home Sweet Home" that you have posted and I used to sing the lullaby you have above it to my son!

I will pray for you this mother's day. God will take care of you.

Fran (from Shelfari)
cathy b. said…
What a wonderful person to remember on Mother's Day!