Skip to main content

Finishing Well

It is good to make a change every once in a while, so I've made a few changes on this blog.
I am currently reading several books: "Knowing God" by J I Packer, "Beyond the Shadows" by Robin Lee Hatcher, "Jude the Obscure" by Thomas Hardy, and "With Christ in the School of Prayer" by Andrew Murray.
The book by J I Packer "Knowing God" I am reading along with my book group friends on Shelfari. I am ready to start chapter Six in this book and I am so glad I am reading the book slowly, it is a meaty book. I can only read a little at a time, then take time to digest and ponder what I've read, often backing up a paragraph or two to re-read again in order to get the full impact, and understanding of what was just read. I did not read far in to the book before I felt convicted to search deeper into my heart by the question, can I honestly say that I know God?
I think that I do, I have been in church all of my life since day one, I've read the bible through more than once, I have a daily devotional and prayer time everyday, I have been in countless bible studies. The point is that I cannot attain more about Him than what He reveals about Himself to me. How often I have thought about something I had read before, that we only see in the pinpoint of time, He sees all. What God reveals to me is only a pinpoint of what He is. It was not very long ago that I prayed that I would know God on a more deeper level; to not know Him by my church affiliation, or denomination, nor know Him by what some people have taught me by sermons or books, nor know Him by what my finite mind perceives Him to be. I also need to get out of the box so to speak, I am speaking more of getting out of my comfort zone of needing to ask someone else what they thought about a sermon or teaching, but to rely on the bible and Holy Spirit for guidance. My comfort zone is also in not speaking up, I believe this stems from being around so many people in my childhood that did not have a filter on their mouth and they would spew forth a venom of words, I have refused to be that way. This does not mean though that I should be quite about talking to people about Jesus. Last Sunday our preacher finished up his series of sermons on Elijah, the title was on "finishing well." There were two things in this sermon that really turned the light bulb on in my corners of my cobweb brain; everything God has done in my life He has put there not only for me, but for someone else. I am to share about what God has done in my life and through me, emphasis on God not me. The second is the clearest test of authenticity of someones faith is not in how they start, but in how they finish. Elijah finished well, I want to finish well. I thought a lot about my dad since this sermon, he was the first person that came to my mind in someone finishing well. Daddy at 85 has a completely torn right rotators cuff, a deteriorated shoulder, spinal stenosis, arthritis, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, history of two heart surgeries, history of brain surgery, he is six feet tall and weighs 136 pounds, he walks with a cane, or a wheeled walker. Every Sunday daddy teaches a men's bible class and then attends church, he spends countless hours every day studying the bible, and studying it in preparation for the next Sundays lesson. Daddy faithfully went to see mother every single day at the Nursing Home for nearly six years. He never complains, is always positive, and with a Cheshire cat grin on his face he will raise his right fist in the air and say "never, never, never, give up!"

Comments

Your Dad sounds wonderful I believe to know God you have to know His Word. Spend time studying His Word and praying. Do His will for your life. I love knowing God. Doylene