Skip to main content

School


How do you pray? Do you pray using specific words and quickly getting to the point? Do you pray long solemn requests, or short prayers not wanting to bother God with the "small things" in your life? Do you pray when you are driving? or walking? of before you eat? or before you go to sleep at night, as if it's an afterthought to your day? When I was a little girl about age 9 my dad called on me to say the evening meal prayer, I quickly said, "God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for our food, Amen." After I had finished, my dad then looked at me, and very seriously, but not with any censure said, "don't you believe it is time you learned to pray from your heart?" My dad was telling me it was time for me to grow up in prayer. Their are those in the Christian community that have said that it is ridiculous to bother God with every concern, only pray to God about the "important things." To me that is a ridiculous idea, I take every concern to God, He is God of all of my life, not just the supposedly "important things." I have a friend, she calls herself an agnostic/sometimes Catholic, who told me that, "since God already knows what I am going to do and what is going to happen, why don't I just go home and go back to bed." That would be rather boring, to stay in bed all of the time. But, what she does not know, or does not accept, is that God wants us to have a personal relationship with Him. He is not a distant God that sits on His throne and does not want us to bother Him except during an emergency. He asks us to work with Him in prayer, He wants us to confide in Him, to get real and get honest about ourselves to Him. He already knows what is going on in our hearts and in our minds, but He wants us to get real with ourselves, and to grow up. Prayer is a journey of classrooms, the classrooms of life, I mean that metaphorically. On this journey of life you have many experiences, some good, some not so good, and some deeply painful. Life is a classroom, and so is prayer. Where are you on this journey? Have you learned to cling to Him, or do you not trust Him with everything in your life, do you withhold certain area's not wanting to give it all to Him. I have learned several things, but one really important thing, that when you finally give it all to Him, when you finally let go, there is freedom on the other side, it is humanly unexplainable, but I know it is real. I am almost finished with the book, "With Christ in the School of Prayer" by Andrew Murray, this book is a true classic, a must read for all Christians. I will post more on this book soon.

Comments