Skip to main content

Poems and Quotes on Suffering


"Great faith is exhibited not so much in doing as in suffering." Charles Parkhurst

"I walked a mile with Pleasure,
She chattered all the way;
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow,
And ne'er a word said she;
But oh, the things I learned from her
When sorrow walked with me." author unknown

"The adverse winds blew against my life;
My little ship with grief was tossed;
My plans were gone-heart full of strife,
And all my hope seemed to be lost-
Then He arose-one word of peace.
There was a calm-a sweet release.

A tempest great of doubt and fear
Possessed my mind; no light was there
To guide, or make my vision clear.
Dark night! 'twas more than I could bear-
Then He arose, I saw His face-
There was a calm filled with His grace.

My heart was sinking 'neath the wave
Of deepening test and raging grief;
All seemed as lost, and none could save,
And nothing could bring me relief-
Then He arose-and spoke one word,
There was a calm! It is The Lord." author unknown

"Therefore if God's desire is to enlarge your capacity for spiritual understanding, do not be frightened by the greater realm of suffering that awaits you. The Lord's capacity for sympathy is greater still, for the breath of the Holy Spirit into His new creation never makes a heart hard and insensitive, but affectionate, tender, and true." Anna Shipton

"An old seaman once said, 'In fierce storms we must do one thing, for there is only one way to survive: we must put the ship in a certain position and keep her there.' "

"Jesus Christ is not my security against the storms of life, but He is my perfect security in the storms. He has never promised me an easy passage only a safe landing." L.B. Cowman

"Oh, set your sail to the heavenly gale,
And then, no matter what winds prevail,
No reef can wreck you, no calm delay;
No mist will hinder, no storm will stay;
Though far you wander and long you roam
Through salt sea sprays and oe'er white sea foam,
No wind can blow but that will speed you Home." Annie Johnson Flint

All quotes are found in the book "Streams in the Desert" a devotional by L.B. Cowman
I have read through this book everyday for the past 11 years.

Comments

Therese said…
I really like the quote by Anna Shipton. That's so true, and it's so beautiful to know that suffering is never pointless for a Christian.
A beautiful poem. Streams in the desert is one of my favorite devotionals. You have a beautifulDD blog.Doylene