Skip to main content

Tutelage

"Prayer is not a monologue, but a dialogue. Its most essential part is God's voice in response to mine." This quote is from the book that I recently finished reading, "With Christ in the School of Prayer" by Andrew Murray. The word monologue in the "Oxford Pocket American Dictionary," means a long speech by one person in a conversation. The word dialogue means a conversation. How often in our prayers is it a one sided monologue to God, we rattle off all of our list of concerns and prayer requests, and quickly close the prayer, and then go on to another "to do" on our list for the day. I have been sorely culpable of this. My prayer life has been a prayer life of apprenticeship, the tutelage from the combat zone of life. My prayer life is and will be an on going education, until I am at home in heaven. The book "With Christ in the School of Prayer" I read a chapter a day during my daily devotional time, the book has thirty one chapters. I am glad that I read a chapter a day, I was given time to ponder what I read (I have a tendency to read fast.) Andrew Murray was a gifted writer, his writing is full of passion and exuberant love for his Savior Jesus Christ. Andrew Murray is a deep writer, his writing is not for the fainthearted reader. This book was read by my entire church in the spring of this year. We are blessed to have a preacher that loves to read and encourages his congregation to read. I was a little late in finishing up this book, it over lapped into the next book that he encouraged the church to read, "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" by Jim Cymbala. I am in a prayer group at church; we meet one time per week to pray as a group for those in our church, or for those friends and family members known by our church members that are in a health crisis, or other crisis. It is an awesome thing to lay aside our timidity of praying in public, and to lay aside those "other" things we need to do later when we get home, and pray for those in need. "To pray in the Spirit to speak words that reach and touch God, affecting and influencing the power of unseen world, depends entirely on our hearing God's voice. We must listen to the voice and language that God uses and through the words of God, receive His thoughts, His mind, and His life into our hearts. The extent to which we listen determine the extent to which we learn to speak in the voice and the language God hears." To let go and allow the Holy Spirit to take over is a scary thing; as humans we like control. When I taught a Bible class I studied everyday, took notes, and read everything I could in commentaries, I tried to be as prepared as I could; but on Sunday morning when I started to teach I had to let the Holy Spirit take over the teaching. It is not about me at all, it is all about Jesus, and it is His Word that I was proclaiming. It is the same with praying, we read off our list of prayer requests, but we need to allow the Holy Spirit to take over, He probably has, and usually does-others to prompt us to pray for.

Comments

Brahm said…
I really enjoy your posts. The content are so inspiring. But, do you make the "no paragraph" style on purpose?
MissDaisyAnne said…
Thank you and yes to your question, but I use paragraphs sometimes.