Skip to main content

Death

"Said the Robin to the Sparrow:
I should really like to know
why these anxious human beings
Rush about and worry so.
Said the Sparrow to the Robin:
Friend, I think that it must be
That they have no Heavenly Father
Such as cares for you and me."
Elizabeth Cheney

I have been discombobulated this week, my aunt died early Wednesday a.m., she had been sick for about two years with heart and renal failure. A memorial service is planned in a week.
This has been a tough year; my mother died last March, my sister had a heart attack during the summer, and now my aunt has died. This aunt was the younger sister of my dad's.
I have a picture hanging on the wall near me of my dad, his two sisters, and their parents taken about 1931 during the depression. My dad has on coveralls, a Gatsby style hat, barefoot, very thin, his head is tilted to the right, probably because of the suns glare, or maybe he was impatient for the picture to be taken. Daddy's two sisters are dressed in dresses, and lacy socks, and have shoes on. My grandmother has on a bell shaped hat, grandfather has on a flat brimmed straw hat, both of their faces are nearly concealed because of their hats. I am sure that all of them are dressed in their best clothes, but yet none of them are smiling, all are very somber, they all have expressions of addled uncertainty about their lives.
Daddy is the only one left living in his family, and to think he thought he would be the first to die. My dad is a survivor of combat during World War II, a survivor of D-Day, a survivor of the Battle of the Bulge, two heart bypass surgeries, a brain aneurysm, and other numerous surgeries and health crisis'. He is still living for one reason alone... God still has work for him to do.
At my mothers funeral the pastor talked about the finality of death, and the fact that we cannot control most of what happens in our life, including death, both how we die and when. We can control where we will spend eternity, and eternity is a very long time.
We can joke about death as many in the media do, we can joke about religion and about God, as a new movie is now doing. We can take vitamins, exercise, eat healthy, do crossword puzzles to keep our brain sharp, we can get plastic surgery to conceal or correct downslidding skin. The fact is we are going to grow creaky and rusty, and our bodies are going to cease to exist. Then what?
"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life." 1 John 5: 11-12

Comments

dtbrents said…
I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I have lost most of my aunts. On my Dad's side of the family my Mama is the only aunt left. I have two aunts on my Mama's side. They both have doctorates in theology. They are not much older than I am. I pray you will have a great year after this one. I enjoyed your description of the family photo. I love old family photos. The people all look stoic. I am praying for you. Doylene