Skip to main content

Do You Have A Daily Devotional Time?

Do you have a daily devotional time?
I started having a daily devotional time in December of 1993, I was 29 then.
I meet with the Lord every morning, sitting in my spot on the couch, near the window, amongst all my nest of books, and pens and pencils, and bookmarks, I have a fresh cup of coffee; and even though I am barely awake I start reading from His Word, and from a few precious devotional books that I have picked out for this year. One of the devotional books that is my favorite, and I have read through nearly every year since 1993 is "Streams in the Desert." I have read that book so many times, and yet its message is always so fresh, and new, and just what I needed to hear that day.
This year the books that I have picked out and am presently reading are, "A Journey Into Prayer" by Evelyn Christenson, and "Daily Light" by Bagster and Lotz. I also read 2 devotional magazines "Our Daily Bread" by the RBC Ministries http://www.rbc.org/, and "Open Windows" by Lifeway. I am reading through the Bible again this year, reading out of my ESV Study Bible. I also have a 3 ring black binder with notebook paper that is my prayer journal.
I must have this time to meet with Him, it is my battery charger, my oasis, my quintessence, my soul nourishment. I regularly attend church and Bible studies, but it is my personal one on one devotional time with the Lord that is most the most valuable to me.

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the Word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40: 8
"The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, to know the Word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught." Isaiah 50: 4
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." James 1: 22
"For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4: 12 ~~~~~all scripture from NIV

Comments

A Gracious Home said…
I have morning devotions but I don't like devotional books. My husband uses them. I like reading in the Bible and praying in the early morning hours. I plan my day and pray for the strength to do God's will. I have read Streams in the Desert and enjoyed it very much. Doylene