Skip to main content

Acts of Faith Series, The Centurion's Wife

I have been anxious to read a book that I'd read reviews of on other blogs. I bought this book last Thursday afternoon, I read the last sentence at 5:00 P. M. Friday, I just could not put the book down. The book made an impact on me and I am still thinking about the characters in the book.
"The Centurion's Wife" by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke
The year is 33 A. D. and in the Judaea Province lives a young servant girl named Leah. Leah is a servant in the household of the Roman Prefect of Judaea Pontius Pilate and his wife Procula. Procula suffers headaches and dreams that haunt her, her malady made worse since the "fanatical prophet" was crucified. Leah is sent on a mission by Procula to find the prophet's disciples, and find out what happened to the body. In a political move Leah is betrothed to a handsome centurion from Gaul. Leah does not wish to be a servant to any husband, she prefers her service under Procula. The man that Leah is betrothed to is Alban, both he and Leah throughout the book make a series of discoveries that lead them to the "Truth." The book brings the sights, smells, customs and traditions alive with vibrancy. When Leah is shopping in the market place, the reader is there as well, the sights and smells of the freshly caught fish, the dusty streets, the bartering for prices. The book gives a sobering reality check to how women were treated, they were property, without rights or a voice. The book gives a great and albeit a fictional account, but interesting, of the women that were the followers of Jesus; their tasks, personalities, dress and traditional customs.
I am looking forward to the next book in the "Acts of Faith" series.
http://thecenturionswife.com

Comments

A Gracious Home said…
The book sounds good. I like Janette Oke books. I bought a bunch of books last Sat. I don't have much time to read. I'm caring for the grandchildren five days a week now. I hope you and your Dad are doing well. Doylene
Leanne said…
Yeah I just found book 2 hidden flames, it's about Abigail
Sonja said…
I agree, that I just could not put it down! Book Three is the absolute best though. I had chills, because I felt like I was physically there, experiencing each moment of things that I know really happened long ago!