Skip to main content

Wednesday's Challenge

It is Wednesday and time for an update on my "Operation Read Bible Challenge." I just finished reading chapter 11 of Mark. In Mark 11: 24 Jesus said, "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." NIV.
This verse has been misused, and or misunderstood by people that believe that if they have enough faith then a certain thing they pray for will automatically happen. What do we do with a statement like that. When we pray for something, are we not to believe that God will answer our prayers?
In August of 2003 my oldest son David was in combat in Iraq, he was in the middle of his first tour. In our hometown newspaper it had been announced that a young man, a native of a nearby town, also a soldier, a husband and father, was killed while serving in Iraq. I was thinking of this young man, while I was having my devotional and prayer time, and the Lord asked me "if something happened to David, would you still love me, would you still worship me?" I told the Lord, "I don't like that question, that is not very nice, it is not fair." For the next week I refused to think about that question, I ran from it, I continued to have my daily devotional time and prayer time, but I would not think about that question. That question though encamped over my head like a dark cloud following me everywhere. Finally I got quite and still before Him, and I said, "yes, Lord you know all things, I will still love you, and I will still worship you, even if something happens to David." This was a turning point in my relationship with the Lord, no longer did I dictate to Him my list of prayers, I prayed for His will, fully knowing what that could mean. Yes, I still prayed for David's safety, of course I did, but I also prayed for God's will to be done. It is a hard, hard, hard thing to pray for God's will knowing it could be the death of your son, your firstborn son. God knows about that better than I do. Faith is not a complete action unless you walk through the fiery trial, knowing full well that you are not alone, that Jesus is with you, every step of the way.
Further scriptures to read: Mark 14: 36, Romans 8: 28, 32, Phillipians 4: 13, 1 John 5: 14*

Comments

A Gracious Home said…
I think it's better to pray that God's will be done. He knows what the future holds and we don't. I treasure our friendship. Christian friends are the best. I'm enjoying facebook. I don't know if you remember watchman from Shelfari. That is who Greg Dill is. We spar a lot but he's a good guy and loves the Lord. I'm glad your Dad is better. I noticed my Grandpa's Bible on an end table. I cherish it because I grew up with it. My sister had a new back put on it about 20 years ago. I wish she hadn't done it. She was afraid it would fall apart. I hope you continue to enjoy your walk with God. Doylene
mama faith said…
Linked to you from Sandy's blog...Love your photograph on your header!
mama faith said…
Linked to you from Sandy's blog...Love your photograph on your header!