Skip to main content

Wednesday's Challenge

Hau'oli La Hanau~~Hawaiin
la Breithe Shona dhuit~~Irish Gaelic
joyeux anniversaire~~French
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag~~German
Happy Birthday~~English
However I say it, it is Happy Birthday to me on February 12.
On February 12, 2008 my mother became very ill and nearly died that day, it did begin her slow death and she died March 2. The afternoon of February 12, 2008 I got a phone call from my Mother's nursing home charge nurse, that I needed to come as quickly as possible because it did not look good. I packed my clothes half hazard for the possibly extended visit, also bringing with me my still warm from the oven un-iced chocolate birthday cake. I never ate that birthday cake, and I love chocolate so much, but it would have tasted like cardboard to me. This year I have planned a party for this Saturday, we are cooking hamburgers on the grill, chips and dip, a birthday cake, a cheesecake. My youngest son's 24TH birthday is Monday the 16TH, and my oldest son's wife's birthday is Sunday the 15TH and she will be 27. I have invited several family members and friends, we are hoping for a great celebration!
Many years ago my mother told me a story from a season in her life, that when her first husband died suddenly and she was left a widow at age 30 with 3 small children, she said, "that when her husband died she expected the sun to not come up, she did not expect to see the moon nor the stars at night, she did not want to get out of bed." My Mother said, "life goes on, the sun still comes up, the sun still rises and then sets, people still go to work. Life goes on." I miss my mother terribly, my hearts aches for her, but life goes on for us, until we are called home too.
And I am eating chocolate birthday cake this year!
I finished reading the Gospel of Mark, I am now reading in the Gospel of Luke, finishing chapter 2 tonight.

Comments

Becky said…
Happy Birthday!
Lina said…
Happy belated birthday!