Skip to main content

Question Of The Week #9

Question Of The Week #9, from Becky @ Operation Read Bible http://operationreadbible.blogspot.com

"Where do you go for comfort? When you're feeling sad? Anxious? Depressed? Out of sorts? Where do you turn when life has got you down? When you're feeling lost and disturbed to borrow a term from good-old-Wycliffe? Do you turn to God? Do you turn to your family? Your friends? To food? To chocolate? To exercise? To a book? A song? A Movie? Your teddy? These days do come to all of us, and it has always been interesting to me to see how different people cope, coping is an important skill after all! If and only if you feel comfortable sharing, answer a few of these questions I don't want to make anyone feel to exposed or vulnerable. But this is big, really big, and sharing ideas and thoughts could be helpful, you know..."

Once upon a time I had a lot of dependence on what others thought of me, their reaction, their acceptance of me, another words if they thought I was okay then that meant I was really okay.
But, through many life experiences God has worked in my life (and important to note I allowed Him free reign) to change this. I now live for an audience of one, and that one is Jesus Christ.
I have tried it "all" in turning to this or that in order to make me feel better when I was depressed, or out of sorts, of down, etc. But the "all" never pacifies, and is certainly never enduring. The "all" never quenches deep down into your soul the thing that you are craving the most. Why can't we get it? Why do we turn to a physical pleasure, when what we need to do, we don't?
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV
The word trust in Hebrew is batah and it means to trust, rely on, put confidence in, to be confident, to lead to believe, to feel secure. Put all of your trust, confidence, and security in Jesus, go to Him first with everything. Not just with a few things, or the really big things, but with all things! Cling to Him like Velcro!
Should you never take counsel with someone? No, that is not what I am saying, be discreet and choose wisely those whom you choose to counsel with, but always go first to Jesus!

Comments