Skip to main content

Question Of The Week #17

Question Of The Week #17, http://operationreadbible.blogspot.com

"What's your worship style? Do you prefer hymns or praise songs and choruses? Or perhaps a blend of the two? Do you have a favorite hymn or two that uplifts you? How about praise songs? Do you have any favorites?"
I grew up in a small Baptist Church on the outskirts of Houston, Texas. We sang hymn music along with a choir, organ, and piano. Many of the well known hymns sang during that time I still love to sing while I am in my own home, or even while driving, all sang acappella. These songs are familiar friends, they are comforting, assuring, and uplifting. "What a Friend we Have in Jesus" is one of my favorites, as well as "Blessed Assurance," and "At Calvary." When I sing those songs often I think of the Church family that I had then, many that have now gone on to heaven to live with Jesus. I can hear their voices singing, see their smiling faces, and remember the sweet fellowship that we had.
I also love many of the praise songs that are contemporary, "Mighty to Save" by Hillsong, and "God of this City" by Chris Tomlin. They remind me of my home Church in Irving Texas, a Church I cannot attend now because I am living with and caring for my dad in another town. These songs are sang often during our worship time at that Church.
Music transcends time, it brings people during corporate worship together in unison, by lifting up our voices to the praise and the glory of Jesus Christ. It does not matter if we are alone, driving, cleaning our house, taking a shower, at work, in a bad mood, or sad; singing releases our soul from our troubles and from this life on earth, and raises them heavenward to proclaim Jesus as LORD in our life.

Comments