Skip to main content

Review---The Shack

"The Shack" by William P. Young
248 pages

"The Shack" has been on the bestseller list for months, it has achieved great success in getting the attention of not only the Christian community, but the secular as well. This book has been discussed on cable talk shows, radio, magazines, sermons, book clubs, and the blogging community. I have heard people express varied opinions about it, some of the opinions are made with raised eyebrows and a hesitant expression. People seem to either love the book, or they are in disagreement about the authors choice of storyline and explanations of the trinity.
When I first began reading the book, I was several pages into it before I began to feel more comfortable in it. The nightmare that unfolded in the Phillip's family was almost too much for me to bear. It is after all a parent and grandparent's worst nightmare.
I was and am still amazed at the story telling ability of the author. He tells a horrific story in the voice of a anguished father, and then weaves in God in a shocking way that I've never even aspired to dream of.
This is not a book deep in Biblical scripture, nor was it written by a famous author (although now he is well known.) It is a book that has affected those in the reading world that would not have normally bought a book about God, because it is approachable to them. Sometimes all of our Bible studies, sermons, how to and must do, fall on deaf ears, they are just glancing blows to another person that has no Biblical knowledge, or may have been deeply hurt by the Church.
I loved this book, for the main reason that it made me think in ways that I'd not thought, and it showed me some areas in my life that needed working on.
Some of my favorite quotes:
"You must give up your right to decide what is good and evil on your own terms."
"The person that lives by their fears will not find freedom in my love."
In worrying about the future, "It is your desperate attempt to get some control over something, you can't."
"You try and play God."
Sometimes I felt like these questions were directly aimed at me, slam dunk!
It is good to think outside of the box. Do not take that statement out of context, I am not saying that we should read and study something completely outside of Biblical scripture. It is a shame that I had to add that, but some people would take me out to the wood shed for a "paddlin."
I recommend this book at least for the lessons in it that will lead us to a reality check about how we perceive things (our own life judgments.) I also recommend this book so that we will understand the perfect in sync workings of the trinity.

http://www.theshackbook.com/

Comments

Lina said…
I agree with your comments! I too loved "The Shack" once I wrapped my mind around the concept of the Trinity that was different from anything I ever imagined. I gave my copy away...but reading your review makes me want to read it again. My husband also mentioned wanting to read it....and he is not a reading freak like me ~smile~.
Thank you for posting a comment Lina, I always appreciate your responses!
I'm a reading freak also.
I was just reminded of a crazy incident in a book store I saw once, a guy was just going around to many different books--smelling them, now that's a book freak!