Skip to main content

Bible Reading Challenge

I have finished reading Romans and 1 Corinthians. I am now reading in chapter 5 of 2ND Corinthians.
Romans was written by the apostle Paul in 57 A.D, to the church at Rome. Paul wrote this epistle (a written message or letter) while he was on his 3rd missionary journey and while he was in Corinth. It is the longest of Paul's letters, and according to "Halley's Bible Handbook" it is "the most important book in the Bible next to the 4 Gospels."
"Man's justification before God rests, fundamentally, not on the Law of Moses, but on the Mercy of Christ. It is not a matter of Law at all, because man, on account of his sinful nature, cannot entirely live up to God's law, which is an expression of God's holiness. But it is wholly because Christ, out of the goodness of His heart, forgives men's sins. In the last analysis, man's standing before God depends, not so much on what man has done or can do for himself, as on what Christ has done for him. And therefore Christ is entitled to the absolute and whole-hearted allegiance and loyalty and devotion of every human being." "Halley's Bible Handbook."
"This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented Him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in His blood. He did this to demonstrate His justice, because in His forbearance He had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished-He did it to demonstrate His justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus." Romans 3: 22-26 NIV
The theme of the book of Romans explains that we are made righteous not because of the law, but because of our acceptance and belief by faith in Jesus Christ, who shed His blood on the cross in redemption for our sins.

1 Corinthians was written by the apostle Paul to the church in Corinth, 55 A.D. Corinth was a wealthy, bustling, commercial trade city, located on the Mediterranean. There are many key themes in 1 Corinthians, most of all Paul wants the church at Corinth to stop bickering and work together to further the Gospel.
Most people are very familiar with 1 Corinthians 13, "love is patient, love is kind." The verses from chapter 13 verses 1-13 are spoken often in weddings. It is known as the "love chapter."
At the end of verse 5 Paul writes, "it keeps no record of wrongs." Ouch! We humans and especially women seem to remember others faults.
Once upon a time when I was a young wife, I was guilty of this, keeping a record in my young brain, of all the wrongs my husband did, or things he even failed to do. I failed to think that maybe I too, had been guilty of things I should not have done or failed to do. I believe the term full of one self would suffice. I was 18 when I married, and even though I was very much in love with my husband, I was immature in many ways. I am glad to report that I have matured.
About the time we celebrated our 25Th wedding anniversary, I thought about how my thinking has changed now as opposed to how I thought then. No longer do I think about what can he do to make me happy, happiness is not something that I even focus on anymore. My thoughts now are on how much I appreciate Jeff, how very grateful I am for him. When you appreciate and are thankful for someone, your attitude changes, you treat them with esteem and affection, with love and kindness.
"Love is patient, love is kind." Those words are no longer just words that I have read in the pages of my Bible, they are words that are in my heart, and they are transmitted in my attitudes and in my speech.

Comments

harrytsc said…
The Apostle Paul wrote advising his assistants to drink only wine, as he did, because of the bad water. You can place about as much credibility in what he wrote as you could in what any drunken man might say. I studied the Bible objectively and found many impossibilities, misperceptions and blatant lies. I wrote a book of the results of my research of the Bible titled, The Gospel Truth: A Reality Check. You can check it out at:
http://www.eloquentbooks.com/TheGospelTruth-ARealityCheck.html
The Bible doesn't make any since to anyone that does not have the Holy Spirit abiding in them, it is gobbledy-gook to them.
harrytsc said…
I disagree. The Bible is only accepted as the gospel truth by those who have been subjected to religious brainwashing when they attend church and also from their families. They say you must have "faith" to believe the Bible. Faith is just a mental crutch used to accept obvious untruths as true.
A Gracious Home said…
I agree with Annette, unless a person is born again they cannot understand spiritual things. The Holy Spirit gives us understanding.