Skip to main content

Question Of The Week #24

"Question Of The Week #24" from Becky at "Operation Actually Read Bible."

"At what age did you earnestly start to read the Scriptures? What motivated you?"

I was 2 months shy of turning 30 when I had a crisis of faith in my life, and I literally dived into reading and studying the Scriptures. Mornings after I took my children to school became my set aside time for Scripture reading and quiet time. I still have my daily devotional time in the mornings after I first wake up. I pour my first cup of coffee and sit down to read the Word.
In less than a year after starting the daily habit of Scripture reading I joined
Bible Study Fellowship, or BSF. I also have taken part over the years in Beth Moore studies.
I have completed the studies of "The Mind of Christ" by T. W. Hunt and Claude V. King, "Making Peace With Your Past" by Tim Sledge, several "Precepts" studies by Kay Arthur, and "The Search For Significance" by Robert S. McGee.
My daily devotional time is such apart of my day I feel discombobulated (I love that word) if I am unable to. My two favorite devotional books that I have been reading over and over again for over 10 years are, "Streams in the Desert" by L. B. Cowman, and "Daily Light" by Samuel Bagster. I have used many other devotional books, but these two are my favorites and I always go back to them.
I regularly attend Church and Bible fellowship, and have attended many Bible studies; but it has been my daily devotional time where I have grown the most. My daily devotional time is where I meet one on one with the Lord. He ministers to me and I "listen", drinking in His Word. Notice I typed the word listen, that is such an important word, to listen and to be "teachable." Teachable is another important word, it is not a word that many people are comfortable with, and especially accept. People want to be independent minded and the master of their lives, they want to have fun, do what they want to do. Reading the Bible convicts people of their lifestyles and choices, their sin. Reading the Bible also guides them to where they need to be, in a right relationship with the Lord. A person can only be made right, meaning in a right standing with God, by accepting Jesus as their Savior. Accepting Jesus as their Savior means, that we believe that He is God's Son in the flesh, and that He died shedding His blood on the cross for the remission of mankind's sins, and that he was raised from the grave on the 3rd day. For a person interested in knowing more about Jesus, the best book in the Bible to start reading from is in the New Testament, the book of John.

Comments