Skip to main content

Interlude-Interview With A Fellow Blogger


My interview with a fellow blogger for the month of July is with Cathy B from Maryland. Her blog
is http://usefulstringband.blogspot.com

1. Tell the story of how you came to start blogging?
"I had, and still have, a website at http://usefulstringband.blogspot.com. I use it to keep my family and friends informed about what is happening in my life. I also had some highlights in my life that have permanence only on these web pages.
I started blogging because I was reading other blogs and in order to comment on these blogs it was easier if I had a blog address of my own. It also became easier to post on a blog than to enter another page on my website.
My first blog entry had to do with my investigation of the ordinance of foot washing. And for at least a year I was investigating switching churches and recording my mixed feelings about that. I finally found another church. Last December and for several months, I used the blog as a way to keep friends and family informed about my recuperation from a car accident.
Now I'm involved in writing exercises I started about a year ago, but only now doing in earnest. First I've done a series of small stories related to family, and now a history of my "hippy years" which I've only recently been willing to tell without too much embarrassment. Telling things that I used to find embarrassing seems to be part of the exercise. I'm trying to get away from writing only what will make me appear a certain way. I'm trying to get the self-consciousness out of my writing."

2. Who do you consider your primary audience to be with your blogs?
"My audience seems to consist of two of my relatives, and two of my fellow bloggers, and all the people who stumble by - especially those who are looking for information about tmi mini-strokes. According to "Feedjit", my traffic feed, at least one person a day is looking for stroke information. My blog is about tmi - standing for too much information - which is why I have the subheading under my blog title to divert the people who were looking for strokes.
I'm always hoping to find people who enjoy the same books and movies that I do but my taste is so diverse I think I cast too large a net. I'm looking for a another person who likes Middlemarch, AND Mistress Masham's Repose, AND Richard Foster books, AND Rohinton Mistry books."

3. Do you consider blogging to be your ministry?
"I'm afraid it's more my therapy."

4. What is your favorite book, it can be of any genre? Why is it your favorite book? It is okay if you name more than one.
"I love Middlemarch because Eliot writes with such wisdom about character.
Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White is a great children's book that respects the intelligence of its readers. It even has Latin phrases in it. I've always enjoyed books that have tiny people.
Streams of Living Water by Richard Foster fills my need for example of the Christian life. If the people he describes can live in many streams of Christian expression, then maybe I can too.
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry is one of those books that shows the triumph of human spirit over adversity. I admire books by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn in the same way.
There are so many more! They're listed on my blog."

5. What is something about yourself that other people would never guess about you?
"Five minutes after I've had a conversation with you, I'm regretting that I didn't listen to you better."

6. What is your greatest pet peeve?
"When people display disrespect for learning.
Since my car accident, I would say cell phones, but that's beyond "pet" status."

7. Do you have a favorite reading spot?
"My car. I do a great deal of reading while waiting in my car when I have a half an hour to kill."

8. Who has influenced you the most in your love of reading?
"My father used to get up before everyone else in the family so he could do some reading."

Comments