Skip to main content

Review-"Blue Like Play Dough"

www.triciagoyer.com

RandomHouse.com

Review--"Blue Like Play Dough" By Tricia Goyer, WaterBrook Multnomah, Published 2009, 197 pages

While reading "Blue Like Play Dough" I was reminded of a long ago memory that I had shelved and placed way back in my memory bank.
When I was 19 or maybe 20, I was standing in a grocery check out line holding my son David that was about 1 at the time. David was sick with a bad cold, and I was anxious to purchase the few items I had and then hurry back home. A woman standing in another line to my right stated loudly to me, "is that your baby, you look like you are about 14." Several other people standing nearby stared at me. I was embarrassed, humiliated, and I intensely disliked the attraction I'd caused.
I don't remember saying anything. I just remember the feeling that all eyes were on me and that I was judged as being too young, unmarried, and foolish.
I was young, but married, and yes sometimes I was and still am foolish.
I did not have any other friends my age that were married and had a child, most were in college or working. I chose a different path, I chose to marry young and have children young.
Interesting as I typed that last sentence my eyes teared up. If I could, I'd go back to that young mother that I once was and I'd give her a big hug, and tell that other woman that she was no lady!

Tricia Goyer writes from her experience as a young unmarried mother, and later as a young wife and mother of a total of three children. She shares stories that are tender and painful, as well as stories that are joyous and uplifting.
I was and still am enchanted by the book "Blue Like Play Dough," for many reasons, most of all because I know and understand many of the life situations that the writer Tricia Goyer experienced. Tricia describes and speaks to her readers in such a way that any mother can relate to her. No matter the age of when a woman becomes a mother, there are feelings of "am I doing this right?" In Tricia's situation she was young and had less confidence in herself, and had chosen to do things more difficultly.
Tricia's personal stories and insights, or epiphanies on motherhood, are a reflection of many of us.
She shares her joys and her struggles, her mistakes and her lessons learned. Most of all she shares how God has worked through these times of motherhood, by molding her in to the person He created her to be.

Please leave me a comment if you are interested in winning a copy of the book
"Blue Like Play Dough." I will announce the winner August 4.

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

cathy b. said…
I love this post. It's personal and poignant.
I'm still getting used to how young you look in your picture. I had a completely different mental picture. Just goes to show me again how people react to my own outsides that do not reflect my insides. I'd love to win a copy of the book. The giveaway is a neat idea.
Thank you.
My mother always looked young until those end years with Alzheimer's.
I guess I look like a kid, but I've always felt at least 10 years older than I am. My siblings are all 10-15 years older than me and my parents were older when I was born, maybe that has something to do with it.
Annette