Skip to main content

First Day of School

Today was the first day of kindergarten for my granddaughter Celeste. I am so happy that I was able to be there to take her on this memorable first day. When it came time this morning for us to say goodbye to her in the school cafeteria, she ran back over to me for another reassuring hug. She realized that the moment had finally arrived for this "new thing" called school. I gave her a reassuring pep talk, telling her how much I loved her and that I was so proud of her, that I knew she would do just wonderful. I told her that all the other children feel just as she does, because it is all new to them also, but soon she would be a pro at this. After another kiss and hug she went and sat down, then we scooted out the door. It is a necessary thing this letting go, it is all apart of the process of growing up, to let go a little at a time until the final letting go that will happen when they graduate and or leave home.
I would not say I'm a pro at this, but I've sent 2 son's off to school many times when they were growing up, off to camp, off to their first time of driving on their own, off to their first date, off to basic training, off to war, off to a wedding, off to the hospital to take their wife to labor and delivery. And now it has come time to see the grandchildren off.
There is a lesson in this, isn't there always a lesson to be learned?
Mommies and daddies and grandparents have to at some point let their children go, sometimes in little bits, and sometimes like in sending your child off to war it is a great big bit.
What are we to do? Put our faith in God, not in the circumstance, nor in other people, but in God.
"So that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." 1 Corinthians 2:5

Comments