Skip to main content

Review-"The Friends We Keep" and "40 Minute Bible Studies"



"The Friends We Keep, A Woman's Quest for the Soul of Friendship" by Sarah Zacharias Davis
Published by WaterBrook Multnomah 7-21-2009
210 pages

Why do we choose the friends that we have? And a greater question is why do we keep those friends that are not friends to us?
What I mean is why do we invest in a relationship with a person that does not also invest in the relationship? What are we holding on to?
How do we let those friends go?
The book is thought provoking and challenging. Sarah writes with deep insight and draws on her own personal experiences.
She describes the friendships that women in other cultures have, and the relationships that develop when women work together.
She writes that men have different levels of friends, where as women need the "safety net" of other women friends.
The questions alone in the book are valuable for the reading audience to examine!

I have decided to give myself time to ponder my own motives and expectations with my friends.
My oldest friend I met when we were both 9 years old, my mother which was our Sunday school teacher introduced us. We knew each other from elementary school, but became friends first in Sunday school. Often on Sundays we would spend the afternoons together at one of our houses, eat dinner, and listen to music such as Bay City Rollers, Leif Garrett, KISS, Elvis Presley. We continued to stay in contact all through our youth, even though we ended up going to different high schools, we stayed in contact...or rather I called her. We also saw each other at Church and in Sunday school. Our number one topic was boy's. I married after high school and had children, she married a few years later and had children. She moved to another state, yet we continued to give a phone call to each other at least twice a year....mainly me calling her, okay most of the time me calling her. We are now both in our mid 40's, both of us lost a parent in early 2008 and I called her and to minister to her.
I've remembered her birthdays and her anniversaries by sending her a card. I have every name in her family written in my prayer journal and I pray for them daily.
What are my expectations? Why have I always chosen to carry the relationship? Am I a doormat? Is it because I can't let go? What would I be missing out on?
I have another childhood friend, we share the same name. We were inseparable in high school.
She moved to another state and married about the same time as I did, we have children close in age to each other. Neither one of us will let much time go by before we will call each other. We remember each others birthdays, we lift each other up, we laugh with each others zanies. We rarely see each other but when we do it is as if no time has gone by at all, and we just click.

"The Friends We Keep" is an excellent read, I have many little purple sticky post it notes all through the book. It is a great book for a women book club group.

Direct link to the book.
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400074396

Two New "40 Minute Bible Studies" by Kay Arthur, David and B J Lawson
"Forgiveness: Breaking the Power of the Past" and
"Building a Marriage That Really Works"

Summary for "40 Minute Bible Studies"
The 40 Minute Bible Study series from beloved Bible teacher Kay Arthur and the teaching staff of Precept Ministries tackles important issues in brief, easy-to-grasp lessons you can use personally or for small-group discussion. Each book in the series includes six 40-minute studies designed to draw you into God's Word through basic inductive Bible study. There are 16 titles in the series, with topics ranging from fasting and forgiveness to prayer and worship. With no homework required, everyone in the group can work through the lesson together at the same time. Let these respected Bible teachers lead you in a study that will transform you thinking-and your life.
Titles Include:
~The Essentials of Effective Prayer
~Building a Marriage That Really Works
~Forgiveness: Breaking the Power of the Past
~How Do You Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk?
~How to Make Choices You Won't Regret
~Money & Possessions: The Quest for Contentment
~How Do You Know god's Your Father?
~A Man's Strategy for Conquering Temptation
~Being a Disciple: Counting the Cost
~Discovering What the Future Holds
~Having a Real Relationship with God
~Living a Life of Real Worship
~Living Victoriously in Difficult Times
~Rising to the Call of Leadership
~Key Principles of biblical Fasting
~What Does the Bible Say About Sex?





http://www.randomhouse.com/waterbrook/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307457578





http://www.randomhouse.com/waterbrook/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307457592










****BOOK GIVE AWAY****
If you would like to win a copy of "The Friends We Keep" by Sarah Zacharias Davis
PLEASE leave a comment.

Comments

cathy b. said…
Here's my comment for the contest. And please don't give up on me as a friend even though I don't shmooze as friends do, and I'm older than you, and we've never met. I think you're neat. That makes us friends!
Garnetrose said…
I know a woman who keeps those friends who are toxic to her. I asked her why she kept them and her response was, "I keep hoping they change." I think many are like that. The feel these people who are treating them like doormats will suddenly see them as the friend they are and start treating them better. Women tend to want to 'fix things' and make things better. We can't always do that with people. I pray for her. She is missing out on some other great friendships because of the people she chosing to keep in her life.

I also have a friend of many years and we are much like you and your childhood friend. I have known this woman since I was nine and we are like sisters. I would be lost without her.