Skip to main content

Hoots Up With Me!

On our first day of autumn we had a cold front that came through that dramatically dropped the temperatures and brought more needed rain. Our highs this week have only been in the upper 60's and the upper 50's at night.
My husband is sick with a stomach virus. Our granddaughter Celeste age 6 is sick with the flu (possibly swine flu.) I am hoping that dad and I can stay well amongst the growing number of those with the big bad pig flu.

Yesterday I made a delicious pot of chicken noodle soup. I felt that some of my readers may enjoy having the recipe.

Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
6 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
4 cup peeled, cubed potatoes
1 tsp. salt
2 cup cubed, cooked chicken breast
2 cup uncooked yolk-free wide noodles
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk

In dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes or until tender (stirring constantly.) Stir in flour, oregano, thyme and poultry seasoning until blended; saute 1 min longer. Gradually add broth, potatoes, salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in chicken and noodles; simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Reduce heat. Stir in milk; heat through and do not boil.
Yield 8 servings.

I used a rotisserie style chicken--if you live in Texas I bought the H.E.B. honey mesquite rotisserie style chicken.
I used 2 cans of sliced new potatoes--Walmart brand 15 oz each, drain the cans of liquid. I added the 2 cans of potatoes just before adding the noodles.
I used 1 tsp of poultry seasoning because I like the added flavor.
I omitted the oregano.

This recipe is one that you can play around with; adding or omitting per taste.

Comments