Skip to main content

I'm Back From Pagosa Springs Colorado


I am home, we arrived about 5:30 Monday morning. We got a late start in leaving Pagosa Springs, Colorado--leaving in the mid afternoon Sunday.
We had a wonderful, restful, relaxing, peaceful time together---just my husband and I.
We stayed in a large house, but only using 1 bedroom, kitchen and laundry area, and living room.
The house is in a canyon near Chimney Rock--which is outside of Pagosa Springs, Colorado.
There is no cable, no internet, no cell phone coverage, the house phone rarely rings.
We saw several herds of mule deer and elk, a bobcat, fox squirrel, many chipmunks, groundhogs and tarantula's. I kept a log of the various animals and birds that we saw.
I bought a small pocket size book "Birds of Colorado" by Stan Tekiela. This book is an easy to use, portable, handy guide to the most common birds found in Colorado. I rarely went anywhere on our outings without taking this handy and useful book.
The birds that we saw were:
Stellar Jay
Mountain Bluebird
Magpie
American Crow
Hairy Woodpecker
Burrowing Owl
Evening Grosbeak
Red Crossbill
Mountain Chickadee
Red Tailed Hawk
Dark Eyed Junco
Black Capped Chickadee
And I think American Robin--although I kept telling myself surely this bird had already migrated, yet the bird looked just like a Robin.
Often Jeff and I sat in the rocking chairs on the front porch and did not speak, but listened to the sound of.... nothing. The quite was dramatic all on its own; no leaves were moving, no birds were chirping, no wind was blowing, no sound from any living thing or man made device. Perfect undisturbed quiescence.
We did make a day trip to Durango, ate lunch at the Diamond Belle Saloon in the Strater Hotel. Our waitress wore what women would have wore in a Saloon during the 19th Century. I ate a burger and fries---one of the best burgers I've ever eaten.
http://www.strater.com/index.php?display=yes&id=30
We made a trip to Navajo Lake which is close to the house we stayed at. The lake was pristine and as smooth as glass.
http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/Navajo
Pagosa Springs has several shops and restaurants in the downtown area that are fun to visit. I bought several pieces of jewelry that people in the area had made.
We ate at Boss Hoggs several times, this was our favorite restaurant in the area, great service and a great full meal.
http://www.planetpagosa.com/bosshoggs_restaurant.html
Our favorite days were just staying at the house, being together. Sometimes I would be in the kitchen and I could see Jeff in the garage or in the shop (working on a project for the owner of the house) it was a comfort that he was near.
For those of you who do not know our situation---Jeff works in Dallas and has an apartment there, I live in Temple and care for my dad. Jeff and I only see each other on the weekends. So, this trip was extra special for us! And after nearly 27 years of marriage this was our first trip together, just he and I.


I will be posting books reviews soon!
Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments

A Gracious Home said…
That was a great post. We stopped there when we went to CO. We road the train and ate in that restaurant.There was snow in a lot of places we went. We went to Pike's Peak and Cripple Creek. We were with another couple and had a lot of fun. I think I would have enjoyed staying in one place for a while. We saw a lot of deer. Doylene
A Gracious Home said…
I couldn't find the pictures from your trip so I guess you haven't had time to put them on your blog. Doylene