Skip to main content

Review-"Thirsty"

Review--"Thirsty" by Tracey Bateman
WaterBrook Press    a division of Random House, published 2009--376 pages
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/catalog.php?isbn=9780307457158
This book was provided for review by the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group.

"Thirsty" is a book that has the blogging community and readers in a dither.
It is a raw, edgy, clever book unequaled in the Christian book community----after all how many Christian vampire books are there?

Nina Parker, is an alcoholic. She has an ex-husband that she is still in love with. She has 2 children: Meagan and Adam. She has parents and a sister living in Missouri that she has not seen in many years. After Nina spends time in a recovery program, she seeks to make amends to her family and to get back on her feet. She moves back to Abbey Hills, Missouri to live with her sister, her daughter Meghan joins her for a visit during spring break.
Nina has many unresolved painful memories that are crouching behind her like a menacing shadow. Everyday is a new day in her sobriety, but it is a gritty conflict.
Meanwhile a mysterious and handsome stranger named Markus befriends her. His piercing gaze, gentleness, and attentiveness make Nina blush. Should Nina trust Markus, or should she be cautious?

When I began reading "Thirsty" my first feelings were about the heavy price that is inflicted on the families of alcoholics. The erratic drama that is played out by muddied intoxicated people that have no inhibitions, and no care for the damage that is done to the family. They do not care about others while they are drinking, then later when they remember what they've done--if at all, they want another drink.
The author Tracey Bateman wrote a palpable account of an alcoholic in her character Nina. Tracey gave details that leads me to believe she did her research.
While reading I felt the pain that Nina's family felt, and I felt the spiraling out of control addiction that was affecting Nina, it was painful to read.

Alcoholism has affected my family. I have witnessed the escalating moments of the inevitable drama of the "bad drunk." Are there any "good drunks" by the way? Maybe I should not have said that last sentence, but I've heard that term many times, and in my opinion drunk is drunk---both bad.

Nina is not a character that I initially loved, I would have kept my distance from her if I knew her in reality. She was like watching a train wreck. Somewhere a long in the story I no longer felt like a voyeur on her life, but began to cheer for her and hope that she would stay sober and get her life together.
The book "Thirsty" examines the lives of other characters as well; Nina's family, old friends, and some new characters with shady pasts.
The mysterious neighbor Markus is a ravishing and personable fella, yet is he a good guy or a bad guy? In the way he was presented I was left guessing and I loved that.
I loved the movement of the story and the introduction of another kind of intoxicating addiction.
I felt this book gave a gut wrenching account of addiction through the character Nina, and addiction was also presented in another more weighty heinous dramatization.

Tracey Bateman's website is under construction.







Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments