Skip to main content

1982

27 years ago today, Jeff and I were married at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. It was a small ceremony in the church that I had grown up in, our family and closest friends attended. The weather was cold, it rained later in the evening. My mother had made my dress, and she had bought my bouquet of rose bud and baby breathe flowers. Jeff and his best friend Steve had rented their western style tuxes. My maid of honor had bought her dress, and both of us wore the same shoes we'd worn at our senior prom several months before. The Church was already decorated for Christmas. The ceremony was traditional and brief. We had no special music, nor any other wedding ceremony entertainment. 
We had two wedding receptions, my parents had a reception at their home and we had our family Christmas party at the same time. We had a second reception at Jeff's sister Denise and her husband Luther's home. Both receptions had a cake and punch, many pictures were taken. The houses were both full from the members of our large families. 
Jeff and I are the youngest children in our families. Jeff is the youngest of 8 children, and I am the youngest of 5 children. 

Our life began as Mr. and Mrs. but oh how naive we were of all those years ahead. Years that would bring children, bills, job changes, heart aches, pleasures, vacations... and then many years of no vacations, college, cancer, surgeries, sending a child off to war, sicknesses, caring for parents, burying a parent, and living apart in order to care for a parent. 

After all of these years Jeff still makes my heart flutter, he still makes me laugh with his ridiculous jokes, I always look forward to him coming home, I miss him when he is not there beside me in the bed at night. 
My favorite place in the whole world is when he hugs me, and I lay my head on his chest--literally the world's troubles melt away. 
He and I have grown up together, we were babies when we married. No one thought that we would make it (except God did), only but for the grace of God we have. 
Not long ago a dear friend with tears in her eyes told me, "you know Annette, you and Jeff are an inspiration to so many people." I was shocked when she said this, I just had no idea. Jeff and I have been a blessing to others and we did not even know it. The Lord has used our lives as a testimony of what He can do, not us--we are after all just people, frail, disobedient, prideful, stiff-necked people. 
It is the Lord who has worked in molding us into vessel's He can use, in order to bless others, and most importantly to reflect His Son in us--and in turn He is glorified. 
"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."
2 Corinthians 3:18 NIV  






Comments

Linda said…
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! God can do wonders in all of our marriages!