Skip to main content

Peace


"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

"And he will be their peace." Micah 5:5


"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests." Luke 2:14


Peace, if you are looking for a peace that the world offers, you'll not find it. It's not there. 
Since the fall of Adam and Eve there has been a continual propensity for violence, war, and strife amongst humans. 
Even in America where we've been given so many freedoms, disharmony flourishes. Road rage happens everyday, arguments and fighting on the job, abuse in the home and in our schools, our pseudo intellectual yet elected officials even argue and blast each other with frigid words. 
So what is this peace that the Bible is talking about, this peace that was predicted in the Old Testament that Jesus would bring, and then proclaimed by the angels at Jesus' birth?
It is a peace that humans desire more than any outward worldly offering of peace, we want peace in our heart. 
When all around you is turmoil and conflict, stress and worry, there is an inner peace.
We have peace with God by believing in His Son Jesus, and this then means we have a right standing before Him, as an unbeliever we were at conflict with Him.
We also have a peace in our inner being, that is not dependent or attached to anything going on around us. 
We receive this peace by His Spirit that lives in us and by His active involvement in our life. 

I don't know if you know this, but how we feel in our inner person is reflected in our outer person. Another words how we feel on the inside is reflected by our attitude, and definitely our actions.

Outside my window the skies are dark, the wind is howling, the temperatures are dropping. 
Inside my home it is warm, calm, soothing.
And in my heart I have a peace-a calmness in my inner person. 
When a driver cuts me off, a relative makes a snide remark, I don't get enough sleep at night, my bank balance in getting smaller and smaller, yet I am at peace. 
In October of 2005 when the surgeon told me I had breast cancer she looked at me and said, "well you are taking this well." Only and only because of Jesus was I at peace with this diagnosis. Because He is bigger than any cancer, any war, any fear. 
My prayer is that you my reader will have peace in your heart, peace that only Jesus can give. 
No this is not a secular song of "just give peace a chance."
This is real, and personal, and it is tangible--it is something you can firmly grip on to. 
Jesus.






Comments

J. Kaye said…
Have a blessed Christmas! :)
A Gracious Home said…
Annette, I don't think anyone has ever experienced real peace until they have experienced the kind of peace that comes from knowing Christ as their personal Savior. He is our Sabbath rest. I see you will soon have been cancer free for five years. Is that right? That is so wonderful. When I stayed with Daddy for the three months that he knew he was dying of stomach cancer I saw the kind of peace and strength that comes from God. He wasn't in the least afraid. He knew he was going to heaven and looked forward to seeing everything he had read about in the Bible. Doylene
Annette said…
I agree absolutely Doylene.