Skip to main content

Fire

I was awakened this morning by a startling phone call, a friend called to tell me our Church was on fire.
We do not know what caused the fire that was called in to the fire department around five this morning. The original First Baptist Church Temple, Tx burned to the ground in 1938, it had been located one block over from where it is now. My dad in 1938 was fifteen years old and he was delivering his early morning paper route when he saw the Church burn. Daddy told me today that now both he and I are watching the second Church building burn. During the fire today all of the sanctuary and offices have been destroyed. It was heartbreaking to stand in front of the Church doors and watch water pour out, carrying with it hymnals and Bibles. Both of our sons were baptized in this Church, Jeff and I renewed our wedding vows in this Church, we have many memories. Many of us that are members of the Church stood around supporting one another this morning giving hugs and words of love. We are the Church, the building is where we met, yet we have a strong attachment to this building. Pray for us. We will be meeting tonight at seven for a prayer meeting.

 
 
All pictures taken by Annette @A Well-Watered Garden

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior." Habakkuk 3:17-18

Comments

How devastating! I will keep you and the church congregation in my prayers as you rebuild. It may be just a building, but it is filled with so many memories. *hugs*
Annette said…
Yes, and I am a 5th generation member, then add to that my sons, and 2 grandchildren. My dad is 4th generation, still living at age 87.
7 generations have worshiped at this Church.
We are meeting for worship this Sunday at a convention hall, it will be emotional I'm sure.