Skip to main content

One Question Friday

Wendy from All In A Day's Thought posts a question each Friday, the post is entitled One Question Friday. This past Friday February 19, her question was "comfort food, or adventurous cuisine?"

Adventurous cuisine spooks me a little; I have visions of chocolate covered ants, or crispy fried grasshoppers.
I also envision calf tongue, beef heart, scrambled calf brain (yes, people do eat this.)
So, I'm going to go with comfort food. I love chicken fried steak with baked potato, chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings, homemake macaroni and cheese, meatloaf with mashed potatoes.
When I think of comfort foods, I often think of the memories of eating these foods, and the memories of my mother and or grandmother cooking these foods.
On Sunday after Church mother often would make fried chicken with mashed potatoes, and homemade biscuits baked in a large cast iron skillet. I also remember her putting a roast on to bake early on Sunday morning, and it would bake while we were at Church. The roast would be tender and moist, and she would serve it with mashed potatoes and a gravy she would make (not the kind out of a package, but homemade.)
Cornbread was almost a daily choice, cornbread not only compliments any meal, but it is a dessert also---have you ever had syrup on cornbread? This I have been told with pride in my father's voice was my first table food, daddy shares this with a twinkle in his eye, he knew mother did not like it (I can picture her eyebrows raising to above her hairline.)

Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments

Becky said…
I'm all about comfort food too!
Holly said…
The comfort food gets me as well!

lol

Hugs,
Holly