Skip to main content

Review-"The Choice"

"The Choice, Lancaster County Secrets" Book One by Suzanne Woods Fisher
Revell a division of Baker Publishing Group Published 2010, 308 pages

Blog Tour at Litfuse:
http://www.litfusegroup.com/Blog-Tours/blog-tour-for-the-choice-by-suzanne-woods-fisher.html

http://ow.ly/W84r
The author's Talk Party on Facebook and Book Bomb:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=260692196018


Grab this button
This book was provided by Litfuse for the purpose of reading/reviewing.

"The Choice"

Suzanne Woods Fisher


Carrie Weaver is a young Amish woman living in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. Carrie has a younger brother Andy, father Jacob Weaver, step mother Esther and her older daughter Emma. After Carrie's father became a widow, he married Esther and they moved into her home and farm. Carrie's beau is Solomon (Sol) Riehl and he is a talented baseball player. Sol hides his activity with baseball because he is Amish, and his goal to play professionally is frowned upon by them. Carrie and Sol are in love, and they are planning to run away together when Sol leaves with his team the Lancaster Barnstormers. Early in the story a significant and sudden development happens that leaves Carrie with difficult and unexpected decisions to make.
There have been many books written with an Amish storyline and characters. I believe after reading the book "The Choice" that this is one of my favorites!
This is a great story full of twists and turns, and likable and unlikable characters. It is a story of love and forgiveness, patience in God's will and timing, and faith during sadness and heartache. It is also a story of unexpected blessings, and the joy of God's will over our own desires. 
I enjoyed the large mix of differing personality traits in the characters. 
The character Carrie is a genuinely likable girl. She is beautiful, yet does not hold herself in high esteem, she places God and family as first in importance, she is hard working, kind and considerate, and expresses herself well when needed. She is also just a young girl, and I was swept away with her maturity and steadfastness during the storms that engulfed her life. 
Sol is focused on baseball and his desires and mind is swept away with the game. In Sol I saw what is all too typical in people, they place things and desires above God and others. 
Carrie's step mother Esther is stern, solemn, stoic; and in the beginning of the story I found her to be indifferent, yet her life experiences equaled with her personality gave her reason to be so in temperment.
Yonnie is all that we hold in endearment in a grandmother, she is a sturdy patriarch, and she is wise in knowing just what to say and in words that are unforgettable.
"The Choice" paints a great love story, it is tender and passionate, yet mature and grounded.
There were surprise twists and turns in the story, many I did not anticipate and for this I give high regards to this book---many of its contemporaries have predictable storylines.
I cannot wait until book two in the Lancaster County series becomes available----"The Waiting" will be available October 2010!

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Suzanne said…
Hi Annette! First, I wanted to thank you for participating in the blog tour for "The Choice!" Your review was very thoughtful...loved how you captured each character! If you have a minute to spare, I would be honored to have your review posted on Amazon or CBD. Secondly, I'm curious about your caretaking for your dad. My dad has Alzheimer's...I've been involved in his care on different levels over the last year. Just wanted you to know I appreciate all that you have on your plate. Warmly, Suzanne Fisher
Annette said…
Thank you Suzanne for the warm welcome and wonderful comment. I have been sick the passed few days and your comment lifted me up!
I posted a comment to Amazon on Feb 9---but my name there is listed as MissDaisyAnne.
I would love to chat with you more about caring for my dad.
My mother had Alzheimer's for about 18 years, she was released from this life and entered heaven March 2, 2008.

Thank you.
Annette
Nice review!

I also enjoyed “The Choice” and look forward to reading Suzanne Woods Fisher’s next novel.

I thought the plot was great – robust and satisfying – like a flavourful wine. There were twists and turns that I didn’t see coming. There were love triangles, wise old grandmas, wise elders who gave loving counsel, caring sisters, jail birds, guarded secrets, mystery, and sweet, sweet romance. The chemistry between the two main characters was very believable and I enjoyed it immensely.

I wrote a more in-depth review on my own web-site www.tracysbooknook.com

-Tracy
Oops!

When I said a “more in-depth review” I meant more in-depth compared to the short comment I had made.

Sorry if that was unclear.

-Tracy