Skip to main content

God...Who are You and what can You do for me?




God...Who are You and what can You do for me? is a ten week Bible study that is online over @
At the Well...In Pursuit of Titus 2. Every Monday Jenifer Jernigan posts a teaching video, down loadable study material, and a discussion question for the week.
The question for this week is Who is master of your life? Who are you allowing to rule over you? Your job? baggage from past? Unforgiveness? Hatred? Anger? Unhappiness? Your Children?

At certain times in my life I have allowed all of the above to master my life, and have often done so without even being aware of it. As a wife and mother, and caregiver to my parents,  I have encountered my own set of trials. It is easy to allow those moments to overtake my thoughts and dictate to me an attitude and response.
The emotion of those moments must be mastered by His Spirit that abides or lives in me. I cannot be enslaved by my own weak thoughts and emotions, I must allow and be obedient to His Spirit that abides in me to govern my thoughts, attitudes, and actions.
The word remain is used in John chapter 15 in the NIV, in Greek it is meno-- meaning to stay, remain, live, dwell, abide, to be in a state that begins and continues, yet may or may not end or stop. To abide in Christ is to follow His example of a life obedient to the will of God. 
Is this an easy thing? Of course not. It is a daily and sometimes moment by moment surrendering of obedience to Jesus. When I feed and abide in His word, His words are flowing into my heart and mind, and they are being planted there, and they take root, and then fruit will be produced.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22 NIV
I can tell a difference in myself when I miss a day of reading His word, His word gives me sustenance and it strengthens me. We cannot fall prey to the thinking that we can get by without reading God's word, who are we kidding? We are kidding only ourselves. We must remain or abide (read and obey) in Him.
"I am the vine; you are the branches, If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned." John 15:5-6

Who is master of my life, Jesus is. But I must remain or abide in Him, because apart from Him I can do nothing.

Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments

Holly said…
The emotion of those moments must be mastered by His Spirit that abides or lives in me. I cannot be enslaved by my own weak thoughts and emotions, I must allow and be obedient to His Spirit that abides in me to govern my thoughts, attitudes, and actions.

I must write that down.

So true,
Holly
Annette said…
Thank you for visiting Holly, you encourage me to write.