Skip to main content

God...Who Are You And What Can You Do For Me?



This has been a ten week study (we are on week 9) authored and led by Jenifer Jernigan from By His Grace Ministry. Next Monday we will review what we've learned and the study will be complete.
Each week discussion questions have been asked, many of us participating have answered these on our blog's.
All of the questions have been more than thought provoking, some have pierced my heart. Between this study and BSF the Holy Spirit has been working to deepen my faith by asking me some questions that I needed at this season in my life to answer. Meaning, who Jesus is to me now, is not who He was to me 5 or 10 or even 20 years ago. When we are abiding in Him and growing in our relationship with Him, He reveals more of Himself to us at just the right time when we are ready. Jesus has been since the age of 9 my Savior, my belief by faith in Jesus has not changed. What has changed is my dependence in Him, and the surrendering of my will and life to Him. Do you understand what I am saying? In Jesus is eternal life, but also in Him "is life."  Life is not a series of waking up, driving to work, putting in 8 or more hours, then driving home, doing your evening chores, then retiring to bed only to get up and do it all over again. Jesus is life, His Spirit lives in a believer--guiding us, directing us, teaching us, he is our constant companion (although we don't always acknowledge Him). He is also the steady rock in our lives when all around us is earthquakes, typhoons, diseases, volcano eruptions, political squabbles, and war.
This weeks discussion questions are "How much do you look like your Father today? and Do you stand out from the world or are you blending in like a chameleon hiding from its prey?"
I'm uncomfortable with answering the first question, because I feel that only Jesus can answer that question. For the second question I'm sure that I stand out in the world, I'm told I do; my constant prayer is that people will not see me but Jesus.
There was a third question in the study for week 9, "Who is God to you?"
On February 8th this question was asked during week 1 and my answer was:
http://awell-wateredgarden.blogspot.com/2010/02/getting-to-know-almighty-god-who-is-god.html
Jenifer is asking the question again to see if we have grown during this Bible study and maybe we would have a different answer. My answer would be the same, except I would add that my dependence on Him has grown, there is less of me and more of Him, meaning less of what I want and more of what He wants for me. I've also noticed that His presence is stronger--this is not something that I can explain in any other way except that when we draw nearer to Him, He reveals more of Himself to us.

1 John 3:1-3 states "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. Everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." NIV

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him, but God has revealed it to us by His Spirit." 1 Corinthians 2:9-10 NIV

"We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that His life may be revealed in our mortal body." 2 Corinthians 4:10-11 NIV

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 NIV

"Yet for us there is but One God, the Father, from who all things came and for whom we live; and there is but One Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live. 1 Corinthians 8:6 NIV

Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments