Skip to main content

Review-So Long, Insecurity

Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. 2010
352 pages
Link for the book:
http://www.tyndale.com/x_products/details.php?isbn=978-1-4143-3472-1
Book is available in Spanish.

This book is #5 according to the Evangelical Christian Publisher's Association

More links on the book and author:
www.lproof.org
http://blog.lproof.org/
http://www.solonginsecurity.com

This book was purchased by me for the purpose of reading/reviewing.

From the introduction:
"We're going to have to let truth scream louder to our souls than the lies that have infected us."

What lies have infected you?

After reading that quote, I had this mental image of a monkey in a cage jumping and flying back and forth screaming like a...well a monkey. No, I don't have a monkey in my head but I have had insecurities and lies that have taken up far too much residence in my brain and unfortunately my heart.
For example:
1. I do not wear a bathing suit. My boobs are too big and I have a little tummy, and well I'm 46. I want to share with you that when I was 18 and weighed 105 pounds I still would not wear a bathing suit because I thought I was too thin and had too small of boobs!
2. I have a fear of failure. Often I don't even begin something because I might fail.
3. I place other opinions ahead of God's.
Through my adult years and much Bible reading and study many of these insecurities have been put off--replaced by the new self. Some insecurities have remained; in order to be rid of them it was either a battle of using my own strength, or shaming myself for having them.
After attending the simulcast last Saturday (see my previous post), and after having finished reading the book So Long, Insecurity; I feel refreshed, renewed and excited about what God has planned for my life...after all I've been holding back!

"All of us have insecurities, both men and women." My own 87 year old father has insecurities, if we get low on toilet paper, peanuts, toothpaste, banana's, soap; my dad is literally pacing the floor waiting for me to take him to the grocery store. His insecurities are the result of growing up in the depression. Memories of poverty is a strong insecurity.
"The insecure man or woman lives in a constant fear of rejection and a deep uncertainty about whether his or her own feelings and desires are legitimate."  We are valid, we matter to God, He died on the cross for our sins, we are deeply loved by God. But, we have to accept this.
In chapter 6 media exploitation is talked about. Think about how often at the check out counter we see air brushed thin bathing beauties on the cover of magazines. Our first thought is we compare ourselves to them, then we beat ourselves up for not looking like them.
After reading this book I am appalled and ashamed at how much time I've spent thinking about myself, it boils down to pride. Heavy sigh! 
In chapter 16 Beth encourages us to allow God to use our past in order to help and be a testimony of what He has done in our lives.

I loved this book! Beth's personality shines throughout it, yet the emphasis is not on her but on the "new self we were created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." Ephesians 4: 24 NIV. I am aware of those who dislike her, okay.... some people dislike me to. Beth's focus is not on pleasing the audience of people with her personality, her focus is always on an audience of ONE and that is Jesus Christ.
This book is filled with testimonies of some of those she interviewed for this book ( a total of 1,200 people).
The book has "many" questions that stir your heart and inspire growth. This is a book that will be highlighted, dog eared, and filled with post it notes marking pages. It is a book that will spur us onward to "put off the old self" and "put on the new self."

"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." 
Proverbs 31: 25


Thank you Beth it was a book I needed to read, and a praise is that my young daughter in-law is reading the book and attended the simulcast last Saturday.
Beth you are a blessing!

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments