Skip to main content

Living a God Pleasing Life by Cathy Bryant

Great post by Cathy Bryant!

http://wordvessel.blogspot.com/2010/05/living-god-pleasing-life.html


Living a God-Pleasing Life
Probably no Christ-follower alive would say they don't want to live a God-pleasing life. But as is usually the case, saying and doing are two different things. We may think and say we want to please Him, but self gets in the way, and we all end up living in ways that are contrary to God.

During our recent study of knowing and doing God's will, I came across several references on living a God-pleasing life, and thought I'd share them with you here.

Not Just A Suggestion
Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. ~1 Thessalonians 4:1 (NIV)

God's Word gives us all we need to live a life pleasing to God. It's more than a suggestion--it's a loving Father's instruction on the best way to live.

Christ Is The Perfect Example
And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with Him I am well-pleased." ~Matthew 3:17 (NIV)

As always, Christ is our example on living a God-pleasing life. Emulate Him.

Never Alone
"The One who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do what pleases Him." ~John 8:29 (NIV)

I think one of the biggest fears we all face is being alone. I'm not talking about an occasional blissful day of solitude; I'm talking about having no one else to care for us, to support us and encourage us. As believers we have the promise from Jesus that He is always with us (Matthew 28:20).

Yet there are times we feel like God has abandoned us. I can only speak for myself, but most of the time when I feel this way it's because I've wandered away. God hasn't changed; He can't (Malachi 3:6). If something is different, it's because of you and me.

Secure and Peaceful Life
When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies live at peace with Him. ~Proverbs 16:7 (NIV)

I don't know about you, but I abhor conflict and confrontation--to the point that I'll do almost anything to avoid them. What a comfort to know that when we live like God wants us to live, even our enemies aren't a threat or a thorn in our side.

Faith Required
By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. ~Hebrews 11:5-6 (NIV)

Faith is more than just believing--it's acting on that belief. We cannot please Him if we don't act on our belief in who He is by putting our full faith and trust in Him.

Obedience Required
Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from Him anything we ask, because we obey His commands and do what pleases Him. And this is His command: to believe in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as He commanded us. Those who obey His commands live in Him, and He in them. And this is how we know that He lives in us: We know it by the Spirit He gave us. ~1 John 3:21-24 (NIV)

Sometimes my heart seems geared toward disobedience brought on by selfish desires, but I cannot live a life of disobedience and please Him at the same time. The old Christian hymn, "Trust and Obey," is right on the mark when it comes to living a God-pleasing life.

The Importance of Sacrificial Living
And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. ~Hebrews 13:16 (NIV)

I think I fall short in this area more than any other. I want to do good. I want to be generous. But oftentimes my desire to fulfill my agenda and to meet my selfish hoarding ways interferes with the type of sacrificial living that pleases God.

Dear Father, it is our hearts' desire to live in a way that pleases You, but our sinful nature often flares up and moves us off the path. Thank You, Lord, for Your forgiveness and for the sacrifice that was made on our behalf that we might be forgiven. Lord, we pray for strength for each moment of this day to follow in the steps of Christ in pleasing You. Strengthen our faith and help us to be obedient. May we dethrone self and give You the rightful place as King and Shepherd of our hearts. Thank You that You are always with us. Help us to recognize when we no longer feel Your presence and return to You with hastened steps. Remind us of each opportunity to do good, to share, to love others the way You desire. In Jesus' Name, Amen


by Cathy Bryant of http://wordvessel.blogspot.com

Comments

Cathy Bryant said…
I'm glad you enjoyed the devotional, Annette! Thanks so much for sharing it with your blog readers! =)

Blessings,
Cathy
Doug said…
Thanks for sharing these. It is especially true that we need to act on our belief through faith. Often what prevents us is concern about those who oppose us so thanks for also including the word in Proverbs that even our enemies will respect us.