Skip to main content

Do You Read The Bible?

Becky at Operation Actually Read Bible has written a wonderful post entitled "Why I Read Nonfiction".
I encourage you to read this!!!
http://operationreadbible.blogspot.com/2010/06/why-i-read-nonfiction.html


I had written an earlier post Fiction Versus Nonfiction and I've had several great comments, thanks.
Thank you to Becky for writing her own post on this subject.

More questions for discussion!

Do you read the Bible?
How often do you read the Bible?
Do you memorize Scripture?

These questions are not meant to judge you or be critical, but to stir discussion.

Until I was nearly 30 I read my Bible rarely. I had attended Church and Sunday school all of my life, but rarely read the Bible on my own. Because, I'd been in Church all of my life, I did know several Bible verses having heard them often. In the early years of Sunday school we had Bible drills and Scripture memorization contests; I loved winning those little gold stars! I continued to be a babe in Christ for far too long.
In a Bible I received in December of 1982, which was 1 week after my husband and I married, and I was just 2 months shy of being 19, my pastor wrote on the first inside blank page----
"Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." 1 Peter 2:2-3 NIV
This Scripture would not come to fruition until December 1993, 11 years later.
I know you are wondering what happened at age 30?
I had a gigantic crisis in my life. Specifically major marriage problems. I did not have a rug ripped out from underneath my feet, I had the ground. I had no where else to fall except in to the arms of Jesus.
I know that He allowed this to happen in my life in order for me to learn a few things.
1. My solid ground is in Jesus alone, not another person.
2. I need--must have, His Word in my mouth and in my mind everyday. I need this daily bread from Him. His Word feeds/sustains me.
3. This experience was a training ground for future hardships that I would endure, but I would learn that He is enough.
4. That I depend on Him alone and look to Him alone for guidance/direction/joy/peace.
5. For me to have a testimony in order that today I can share with you what He has done in my life.
Yes, my husband and I are still married---over 27 years. We are together only because Jesus was gracious to us. When I look back on that season (my husband feels the same) it is not as if that were 2 different people that went through that, but our own corrupted and tarnished characters that went through a fire and came through on the other side refined.
An author Susan Lawrence asked on Facebook today, "If we could ask one question of God what would it be?" My answer is I would not ask any question, I would fall at His precious feet and kiss them. I have been blessed immeasurably by Jesus in this life and I am humbled by His great love and grace.
I will say to Him, "Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty who was, and is, and is to come."

Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments