Skip to main content

The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges

I received the book The Practice of Godliness from NavPress for reading and reviewing, not knowing that The Pursuit of Holiness was book one of these two. In book one The Pursuit of Holiness Jerry Bridges writes on taking off the old self---the old nature, in The Practice of Godliness he writes on putting on the new self---godly Christian character. It just so happens that on my book shelf sat The Pursuit of Holiness patiently waiting for me to read it.

This book was bought by me for the purpose of reading/reviewing.

Publisher link:
http://www.navpress.com/ 

Link for the book at the publisher:
http://www.navpress.com/product/9781576839324/The-Pursuit-of-Holiness-Jerry-Bridge

Published paperback in 2006, 160 pages



The title of the book comes from Hebrews 12:14
"Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord."
While reading this book I took 8 pages of notes. I'm a note taker, every book no matter if it is fiction or nonfiction I take notes, but not usually 8 pages.
This book is to me a classic. You are probably asking what constitutes a classic, a short definition by me is a classic is a book that is so well written that it resonates with its readers no matter how many years after the book has been written.
To say that I must be holy scares me, because I don't feel that it is attainable, not in this lifetime.
Yet that is what I am urged to do.
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship." Romans 12:1
Jerry Bridges explains that "holiness is a process-something we never completely attain in this life...As we begin to conform to the will of God in one area of life, He reveals to us our need in another area. That is why we will always be pursuing-as opposed to attaining-holiness in this life."
This is the purpose of Christian nonfiction: for teaching, guiding, making clear, and to spur us onward in our walk with Christ Jesus.
Jerry Bridges explains in a such a way that the veil of misunderstanding or apprehension, is removed.
The word holy means "separation to God, and the conduct befitting those so separated."
I am a Christian a believer in Jesus Christ, this means I cannot live like the kosmos/world lives.
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
The word bought in the above Scripture is agorazo in Greek it is a verb meaning, "to buy, purchase, this refers to buying and acquiring possessions, as in a market place, and to setting a slave free through purchase, often to God's purchase (redemption) of sinners." Definition from The Strongest NIV Exhaustive Concordance by Zondervan. 
I loved this book, I am so thankful that I have read this book at just the right time--the ordained time that I needed to read this book. I am looking forward to finishing and then reviewing The Practice of Godliness.

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Great review, Annette and great how the Lord gives us the right books at the right time. I finished A fruitful Life and have Transforming Grace coming up. I really want to read more of Bridges!
Annette said…
I am reading The Practice of Godliness now along with the work book and I'm having such an awesome time studying and learning.
Great to get to know you a little better Julia, thank you for being my reading/blogger/sister in Christ.