Skip to main content

Disrupting Grace, A Story of Relinquishment and Healing by Kristen Richburg

Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Disrupting-Grace-Story-Relinquishment-Healing/dp/1935265040

Link @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/disrupting-grace-store-relinquishment-and-healing/kristen-richburg/9781935265047/pd/265047

Disrupting Grace

This book was provided for free by Bring It On Communications for the purpose of reading/reviewing. 

Published by VMI Publisher 2009, 136 pages, paperback, non-fiction/memoir/adoption

Kristen and her husband Andrew are eager to bring another child in to their family. They have two children Annie and Ben. Ben was born early and future pregnancy related health problems could happen if Kristen chose to conceive again. Adoption becomes their focal pursuit and their hearts prayer.
Kristen and Andrew gave careful thought and prayer in making this decision. They researched and read on adoptions, they prepared their hearts, their home and their children for a future additional family member.
Kristen a child of adoption as well, felt energized and hopeful in this decision.
Their adoption story did not work out as they had hoped for, in fact it became an ordeal of trauma.
It must have been painful to relive this time while Kristen wrote her memories for this book; then again it may have been cathartic for her and also a way for her to understand what she had learned from this experience.
The daughter they'd adopted was relinquished by Kristen and her husband. This decision was not made on a sheer emotional whim, it was made in order to protect their own children and to do what was best for the child.

I read this book yesterday, staying up until late in order to finish it, I just could not put the book down.
I'd not read before of an adoption that did not work out. I was reminded of the case recently in Tennessee of a woman that chose to send her adopted son on a plane back to Ukraine. Media swarmed all over this story and the woman was convicted before her story was heard.  I have as yet not heard what the results of her story was.
Disrupting Grace is a sad book, it is a book that even in the beginning pages I knew that all was not going to end well. I was swept up in Kristen's story, in her arduous journey. I felt tenderness towards her and her family, and ignorant about mental illness and its affect on families. Often while reading the book I wanted to cry. I am reminded of a quote in another book I read recently, "There are tears in things." (The Lost, A Search for Six of Six Million by Daniel Mendelsohn). There are many tears in this book.
I loved this book! I feel I have learned much by Kristen's story: mental health issues, dealing with a child that is ill, faithfulness, trusting in the Lord for guidance/direction/wisdom, and in seeing a clear-cut picture of the definition of grace. 

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Jan Marie said…
Hi, Annette! I promised I would stop by and visit your blog and here I am. Wow! You are one busy blogger - I see that you have three different blogs that you keep up with. Knowing how much time I spent getting ready for just my first post, I have to say that I don't know how you do it. All three of your blogs are wonderful and well done. It gives me an idea of how much work I have yet to do.

This book must have been a difficult one to read. I have friends who are in the process of adopting three little African girls and they are meeting up with all sorts of complications so I don't think I want to read this book yet since it sounds terribly sad and heart-breaking. It must have been terribly hard for Kristen to bare herself in this book and I pray that it provided healing for her and that someone else can profit from her sacrifice.

Blessings,
Jan Marie
Annette said…
Hello Jan Marie!
I don't blog everyday, I do read everyday. Blogging is more than a hobby, at this point I consider it a ministry. I am passionate about reading and talking about books, I never tire of it. I enjoy not only talking about books, but expressing myself through the reviews, and in letting the Holy Spirit control what is expressed through the posts. I pray before writing each post, letting the Holy Spirit guide and direct me.
Welcome to blogosphere!