Skip to main content

Book Review: Be Still and Let God Be God, Writings About Self-Improvement, Discovery and One's Relationship with God by Robert Paul Baeyens

Published by Deep River Books VMI Publishers, in 2010, 256 pages
Christian Living/Spiritual Growth/Contemplative Life

Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Be-Still-Let-God/dp/1935265121/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284661865&sr=1-1
Paperback $11.04

Be Still and Let God Be God begins in the foreword with one of my favorite Bible verses:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
John 1:1,14

This is the first book that Robert Paul Baeyens has written, I am hoping and praying that he will continue to write and share from his life and his heart.

Be Still and Let God Be God is huge in scope of material on Christian Living. There is a chapter on the main religious groups, what they believe and how they began. The author writes of his friendship with a friend that is an atheist, how the two of them have remained close respecting each others beliefs. Yet, the author is a Christian and cannot remove himself from his belief in Jesus, his belief in Jesus encompasses every breathe that he takes, every fiber of his being. The author writes on justice, faith, prayer, free-will, temptation, habits. He writes a chapter early in the book on human nature, that we should be still, stop struggling and striving, and let God be God in our life.
One of my favorite quotes from the book:
"We have to stop putting restrictions on what God can and can't do. He can do anything with any of it, at any time. Let's stop trying to figure out things we cannot possibly ever know or understand and let Him rule."
Robert Paul Baeyens writes in a candid, personable, honest, relaxed writing style. He writes with clarity, he does not explain over our heads, but writes from examples of his own life that we can identify with. He asks great thought provoking heart stirring questions. Scriptures and quotations  are dispersed throughout the book. He does not promote himself as a theological writer; but a man that has felt compelled to write from his heart about what Jesus has revealed to him, what he has learned and what he is continuing to learn in his walk with the Lord.
This is one of the best Christian non-fiction books that I've read this year. I am so thankful that I was able to read and review this book, this book has affected me at the core of my heart. I've been sad and worried about a few things in my life, the circumstances of being the full time care giver of my elderly father has dragged on for over a decade. I worry about going back in to the job market, the fact that I've not worked in over 10 years, the thoughts of what would I do, who would hire me? Most of these years I've lived apart from my husband during the work week, only seeing him on the weekends, because he works in another city. By reading this book my focus has shifted off of these circumstances and on to Jesus. That this "is" His will for my life at this time, the job of caring for my father is important--maybe not to the world, but to Jesus it is important. As far as the future after dad is gone, stop worrying about it, Jesus rules and He will work it all out.
Another favorite quote that speaks directly to me:
"Live life trusting in God that His plan is a perfect plan and He'll make it work out right in the end. Faith is everything to God."

This book was provided for me for free from Bring It On Communications! for reading/reviewing.

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Bob said…
Annette,

Thank you for your very nice review of my book "Be Still." I'm so happy that it left an impression on you. I really feel that it is God who does the talking when we're listening for His inner voice, especially when reading His word. So, my book was just a tool that helped you to tap into that incredible relationship that is always right there with you.
I wish you all the best with your caring for your elderly father. Your crown will be big in Heaven! I would love to stay in contact with you and I think your website is awesome. I'll be watching your reviews and trying out your recommendations. Take care.
Your brother in Christ, Bob.
Annette said…
Thank you so much for your kind and gracious words.
Annette