Skip to main content

Book Review: The Pursuit Of The Holy, A Divine Invitation by Simon Ponsonby

Link for the book @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/the-pursuit-the-holy-divine-invitation/simon-ponsonby/9780781403665/pd/403665
Paperback $11.99

Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Holy-Divine-Invitation/dp/0781403669/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287512089&sr=8-2
Paperback $10.79
Kindle $9.99

Link for the book @ Publisher--David C. Cook:
http://www.davidccook.com/catalog/Detail.cfm?sn=106703&source=search
Paperback $14.99

Published by David C. Cook a B and B Media Group in 2010, 253 pages
Christian Non-Fiction/Pursuit of Holy/Christian Living

I could not find an official website for the author Simon Ponsonby. He is the Pastor of Theology at St. Aldates Church in Oxford, England. The link to this church and his sermons:
http://www.staldates.org.uk/BrowseBySpeaker.asp?intPreacher=153

This book was provided for free to me by David C. Cook a B and B Media Group for reading/reviewing. 


1 Peter 1:13-16 NIV
"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy, because I am holy.' " see Leviticus 11:44-45, Romans 6:22, 1 Corinthians 1:2.

I had an interesting experience over the weekend. My husband and I went to a party given by old friends that we've known for over 25 years. We rarely see these people, they live in another town. When we arrived the party was in full frontal swing. Then my husband and I remembered why we don't see these friends much, we live polar different lives. I won't give the details of the happenings at the party, no need to. My point in giving this illustration is that while I was at the party, literally standing on the sidelines so to speak, a woman walked up to me and said, "you don't look like you belong here."
Not only was this woman correct, but I was reminded of the current book that I had just read and am now reviewing, The Pursuit of the Holy.
When the word holy is used even Christians can be uncomfortable with the word. I believe the main reason is because it feels so unattainable. I believe also that their maybe some who do not want to fully give themselves over to be possessed by God. The thought of living a holy life would require them to give up certain things they don't want to give up. I'm sorry if I just stepped on some toes, but once upon a time I felt the same way. I just did not want to give up those "things" that I thought were so vastly important.
In my walk with Jesus I have learned a few things, one of them is that the closer my walk is with Him---in daily reading and studying His Word, prayer, worship, abiding in Him; the more I realize His holiness, and my absolute sinful filth and thus in need of His grace. The pursuit of holiness in me is only attainable because of Jesus, it will be perfected when I see Him fully as He is, which will be when I am with Him in heaven.

The author has written a splendid book!
Simon Ponsonby begins with, "we are about to take a journey." A journey into what holiness is, how it is lived out in our lives in order that we will not be a Christian in name only; but that people will see the reflection of Jesus in our lives. Why should the world take us seriously that we are a Christian if we are not reflecting Jesus in our lives?

"Holiness is the core of God's being." Simon Ponsonby
"Holiness is purity, moral perfection, the absence of sin." R. A. Torrey
"Holiness is the way God is. To be holy He does not conform to a standard. He is that standard. He is absolutely holy with an infinite incomprehensible fullness of purity." A. W. Tozer

Ponsonby gives many Scripture references, my favorite by far is Isaiah chapter 6. On the day that I read that chapter in his book was the very week my BSF class was studying Isaiah chapter 6---that was not a fluke---it was the Holy Spirit at work.
Ponsonby speaks on perfectionism and legalism, the sinfulness in us, justification, sanctification, and God's grace.

"Grace smothers sin."

I felt the author wrote an affective and applicable book on the holiness of God, but also on our own reflection of it in our own lives. The book is definitely a thinking book, it is a book to read and then ponder and pray about.
I am still pondering in my own life, do I mirror Christ Jesus? I hope so. In the story that I told earlier about the woman that stated "I did not look like I belonged there." I think that is the most beautiful compliment I have received in my life. I hope that what she saw in me that led her to make that statement, was Jesus' reflection in me.

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments