Skip to main content

Book Review: Think, The Life of the Mind and the Love of God by John Piper

Link for the book @ publisher:
http://www.crossway.org/books/think-hcj/
Hardcover $19.99
E book $9.99


"Think" by John Piper from Crossway on Vimeo.

John Piper website:
http://www.desiringgod.org/about/john-piper

Link @Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Think-Life-Mind-Love-God/dp/1433520710/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289221148&sr=8-1
Hardcover $13.59
Kindle $7.99

Link @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/think-life-mind-and-love-god/john-piper/9781433520716/pd/520716?item_code=WW&netp_id=781827&event=ESRCN&view=details
Hardcover $14.99
E book $7.99

This book was provided for free to me by Crossway for reading/reviewing.

Published by Crossway September 2010, 224 pages, Non-fiction

In my opinion it is difficult to write a book review on an author that needs no introduction, nor a positive review from my little dot in blogosphere. So, with a Motzart CD playing in the background, and a warm cup of tea, and a prayer for guidance, I will share with you my review on Think.

We hear the word think in academic settings; but how often in the Church? How often are we told to think, to use our mind?
I don't know if it is over looked, or maybe it is not fully understood what the Christian's response should be.
Their are some Christians that hear what information they've been given and take it as the absolute proclaimed Word of God--they don't think, they grab hold of it; but don't think and ponder and pray about what information they've been given.
Then, their are some Christians that ridicule, criticize, and judge Christian Bible study leaders and writers, they look for any speck of what they believe is evil----false doctrine. They are so focused on looking at others, that they are negligent in their own Bible reading and thoughtful study.

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."
Matthew 22:37 KJV

Loving the Lord requires all of us; our heart, soul, and mind. In loving the Lord with our mind we must think!

"...loving God with the mind means that our thinking is wholly engaged to do all it can to awaken and express the heartfelt fullness of treasuring God above all things. Treasuring God is the essence of loving Him, and the mind serves this love by comprehending (imperfectly and partially, but truly) the truth and beauty and worth of the Treasure." page 80

In reading and studying Scripture, I read and then ponder and pray over a passage, because I want to know what it is telling me and how do I apply it to my life. This requires thinking and praying. I am reminded of----

1 Corinthians 2:16 NASB
"For who has known the mind of the LORD, that he will instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ."

It is the Lord's Spirit that opens our mind to understanding Scripture. Thinking is apart of this, we are thinking on Him and on His Word and what it means to us.

In Think John Piper explores what it means to think and what it means to have a right attitude in our thinking.
He discusses pride that can become involved in the wrong kind of thinking; because we are depending on our own sufficiency (knowledge and ability), instead of on Jesus.
More than once he uses the word treasure, in referring to God's grace.
He gives a complete explanation of why he wrote this book and what it means to think.
He addresses those that are for intellectualism and those that are against it.


I loved this book! 
It is a deep book and one I feel I need to read again.
It is small at 224 pages, and light weight. Yet the material in the book is heavy and has stayed with me (I'm still pondering what I read 2 weeks ago).
I loved the organized structure of the material, and the thorough explanations of his points.
The chapters are short and that is a good thing because I needed to digest what I'd just read.
Never did I feel as if I was drowning in what I'd read; but I did need to think about what I'd read.
John Piper's enthusiasm for this books message is infectious.
I often felt as if he had personally addressed this book as a letter to me. His message was one I needed to hear.
At the end of the book he speaks to those readers that do not like to think and then to those that do. For each group he has a specific message. I will say I needed to hear that "my bent is needed".

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Douglas Dahl said…
Anne,

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a book worth checking out. Obviously, how we think is a core element to who we are and how we relate to God. But we don't often contemplate how we approach thinking and how if fits into our relationship with the almighty.