Skip to main content

Book Review: Detox For The Overly Religious by David Putman


Published by B and H Publishing Group
January 2010, 240 pages
Non-fiction/ Evangelism/Encouragement/Devotional/Christian Living

"Jesus' priority was spending His life in intimate relationship with others...When we focus on religion, things become all about us. But, when we focus on living like Jesus and loving like Jesus, we inevitably leave what Jesus left behind...Jesus alone, holds the power to change lives. He expects us to point the way to Jesus." 

Do you live the Jesus way? Have you thought about it? Have you been moving and grooving in your religious denomination for so long, that at this point you feel you are just going through the motions?

I first picked up this copy and then bought it because of the title. I love the title! It catches your eye and peeks the curiosity about the content of the book. When I think about the words overly religious I think about the Jewish leaders, Pharisees from the Gospels. Their focus was the religious law, their actions showed puffed up pride. I don't want to be like that, yet what do I do to not be like that? The answer is simple, yet it must be practiced....focus on Jesus and live the Jesus way!

David Putman has written a great book on the subject of living the Jesus way, included in this he writes on several topics.
What it means to love our enemies, and who is our enemy.
Giving up our lives in order to love like Jesus loves.
Forgiveness.
Letting go of the painful past.
Repentance.
Getting out of our religious comfort zones.
Failing to see God at work in our world because we are so wrapped up in our own corner of religion.

I loved this book!
This book ministered to me in that it made me think about some areas of my life that I'd not worked on. Getting out of my comfort zone is....well....uncomfortable. I needed a push.
I felt that the author did a great job of explaining his points through using his own life's experiences. He was approachable and real, in giving the reader a raw honest look at his own error of being overly religious. At one point he expressed he almost did not put in to the book a certain story from his own life, wondering if it was the right thing to do.
It was refreshing to me that a pastor can be honest and real about his life, it makes me feel that I can relate more easily---that he understands.
The book is written in an easy to use format for group use, or daily devotional use.
At the beginning of each chapter is a toxic religion thought and a Jesus Way thought.
At the end of each chapter are a few questions for discussion.

Detox For The Overly Religious is divided in to 3 parts:
Book 1 is Living Like Jesus Lives,
Book 2 is Loving Like Jesus Loves 
Book 3 is Leaving What Jesus Leaves Behind.

Total of 23 chapters with an introduction and a closing parts sections.



www.detoxfortheoverlyreligious.com




Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Detox-Overly-Religious/dp/0805448829
Paperback $9.61
Kindle $9.13

Link for the book @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/detox-for-the-overly-religious/david-putman/9780805448825/pd/448825
Paperback $9.99

Link for the book @ Publisher:
http://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/leadership/church/books.asp?p=9780805448825
Paperback $12.99

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Katy F. said…
I like the way this sounds. It's so easy to go through the motions of religion at the expense of deeper relationships (with other people and with God). I'll have to see if I can pick up a copy at the bookstore. Thanks for the review!