Skip to main content

A Place of Healing, Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain and God's Sovereignty by Joni Eareckson Tada



Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Place-Healing-Wrestling-Mysteries-Sovereignty/dp/1434765326/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291656894&sr=8-1
Hardcover $14.95
Kindle $13.19

Link for the book @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/place-healing-wrestling-mysteries-suffering-sovereignty/joni-tada/9781434765321/pd/765320?item_code=WW&netp_id=800445&event=ESRCN&view=details
Hardcover $15.99
Not available as an ebook

A Place of Healing was published by David C. Cook September 1, 2010/ 224 pages
Non-fiction/Suffering and Encouragement/Steadfastness

Link for the book @ publisher:
http://www.davidccook.com/catalog/Detail.cfm?sn=106368&source=search
Hardcover $21.99

Thank you to David C. Cook for my free copy for reading/reviewing. 

In A Place of Healing Joni Eareckson Tada addresses the hard question of why do horrible painful tragic things happen? Why does God allow suffering? Can't He miraculously heal us, or prevent us from having to walk through that fiery trial? In trying to deal with these questions I've known some who have walked away from believing in a God that would allow suffering? As a young woman in 1967, Joni Eareckson Tada was injured in a diving accident and became a quadriplegic. In the past few years she has endured chronic pain. This year she was diagnosed with breast cancer and has undergone surgery and chemotherapy. With much humility and grace Joni addresses this question of suffering. As if she were sitting beside me and reading to me herself, in her tone there is a steadfastness--an unmovable belief, that no matter what happens in this life, she knows God is sovereign; and if He has allowed a suffering to happen to her, then there is a reason for it. I am reminded of a verse in the story of Esther, "for such a time as this?"  The struggles and hardships that we go through can be a encouragement to others when they are going through similar circumstances. Our response to our sufferings and trials can also be a testimony of the One who brings a perfect a peace, no matter what is going on around us, or to us. Joni is forthright in letting us know that in the beginning years after her diving accident she prayed for God to heal her. Eventually she rested in the fact that this was not going to happen. Joni has been a blessing to so many people by sharing her testimony. She has been a blessing in traveling around the world speaking to others that are in wheelchairs. She has a wheelchair ministry that provides wheelchairs to those who need one. She has written several books that have been encouraging and inspiring.
Instead of shutting herself off in her pain and misery she has instead been a powerful voice of encouragement for the suffering. I loved this book! I may never meet Joni this side of heaven but she has been a blessing to me and I thank her, I thank her for saying yes in obedience to letting God use her in a mighty way.


My Story:
December 14, 2005--it had only been about 6 weeks since I had had both breasts removed, and I was going through the process of reconstruction. Our grandson was 5 days old. My mothers 80th birthday was that day, mother was living in a nursing home, her body was in a constant fetal position, and she could no longer communicate because she had end stage Alzheimer's. My husband and I, son David, daughter in-law Christina, their children Celeste age 2 and Dawson 5 days old, were gathered with many others that were waiting on the dreaded bus that would take our son David to a plane that would then send him back to combat in Iraq. To add to this day there was a brisk north wind, the temperature was below freezing, and it was sleeting. We all tried to stay under the sidewalk awnings, turning our backs away from the wind. Our shivering from the icy wind masked our shivers of fear and sadness. During a time like this few words are exchanged, not only do you hold on with embraces, but you hold on to every minute, every precious and fleeting second. I remember looking at David trying to soak in his face, trying to memorize his every freckle; wishing this cup could pass. I told the Lord that obviously this is Your will for our lives, but I am telling you that I cannot do this, I cannot endure this in my own strength, You are going to have to carry me, carry us, and He did.

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 15:58 NASB

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Thanks for stopping by. I'm your newest follower.

Inspiring You To Save
Annette said…
Thank you! So glad to have to apart of this blog! "50" followers now!