Skip to main content

2011 Bible Reading Challenge

Becky @ Operation Actually Read Bible has a great challenge for this year!
To read her post on this challenge:
http://operationreadbible.blogspot.com/2010/12/operation-deepen-faith.html

The first part of the challenge is for us to study 1 book of the Bible this year over what she calls a period of time. Meaning it might be to read 1 book of the Bible in 3 different translations, or maybe 6 different translations, or maybe even 10 different translations, or if a person is willing 14 different translations.
The second part of the challenge is to read theological books.

My goal for this year is to read the book of Romans 10 times in 10 different translations (1 per month which will take me through October). I have already started by reading Romans from the NASB--New American Standard Bible--my Bible is the MacArthur Study Bible 2006.
The other translations I have chosen (all from my own bookshelves):
NIV--Zondervan NIV Study Bible 2008
ESV Study Bible 2008
KJV a 1945 printing, but of course the KJV was first printed in 1600
NKJV
Common English Bible 2010
NLT The Transformation Study Bible 2009 editor is Dr. Warren Wiersbe
Amplified Bible 1987
The New Testament in Modern English by J. B. Phillips 1962
The New Testament an American Translation by Edgar J. Goodspeed 1951

The 2nd part of the Operation Deepen Faith Challenge is to read theological books:
I have chosen 5 commentaries (so far) on the book of Romans. I will space out the reading of these books over the 2011 year.
They are (all from my own bookshelves):
Wuest's Word Studies, Romans In The Greek New Testament For The English Reader by Kenneth S. Wuest
St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans a Devotional Commentary by W. H. Griffith Thomas D.D.
The Letter to the Romans by William Barclay
The Epistle of Paul to the Romans by F. F. Bruce 1982
Commentary on Romans by Martin Luther translated by J. Theodore Mueller 1954

This is a big challenge for 2011 and because of this I have decided to change up what my Bible reading will be. I will finish reading the OT books I did not complete last year which were:
1 and 2 Chronicles, Job, Psalm, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel. Then I will concentrate on reading and finishing the NT.
I am really excited about studying Romans this year, I look forward to what the Lord will teach me through this reading challenge.

I also have a 2nd challenge that I am also involved in.
To read more about this see Beth Moore's blog post @
http://blog.lproof.org/2010/12/siesta-scripture-memory-instructions.html

This challenge is to memorize Scripture.
Memorize 1 verse for the 1st of every month and another for the 15th of every month for a total of 24 verses memorized in 2011. 
The name of the group is the Siesta Scripture Memory Team.
My goal for January 1 and 15 is to memorize 2 Corinthians 4:16-18.
I have a new notebook that I bought and I'm writing the Scriptures out and repeating them often during the day.

"Therefore we do not loose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen . For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
NIV

What are your goals for reading the Bible this year?
My prayer is that you will have a hunger and a thirst to read His Word!

Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments

Jan Parrish said…
I just put that verse on my blog the other day. Very timely. Love it.