Skip to main content

Book Review: Bookends by Liz Curtis Higgs


I've had this book in my to be read pile for a while, in boxing up books for our future move, I came across it and realized I'd not read it.

Published by Multnomah in 2005/352 pages
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/catalog.php?isbn=9781590524374
Fiction/Romance

Dr. Emilie Getz age 36 has gone back to her ole hometown of Lititz, Pennsylvania after being gone 18 years. Her reason for going back is to do historical research on the Moravian Congregation church. Her PHD is in 18th Century American History. While in Lititz she sees people that she grew up with, and she has the attitude that she is more sophisticated and educated than them. At a Christmas Eve service in the Moravian Congregation she meets Jonas Fielding. Jonas and Emilie seem to be like "oil and water" in their personalities. Yet, both have an attraction to each other that they can't get rid of. During the course of the book the relationship between them builds, but added to this chemistry is Jonas' brother Nathan and the stickler he is in.

What I loved most about this book is the 2 characters Emilie and Jonas, in the "calculated dance" that they do when they are with each other. What I mean is that both are obviously attracted to each other, yet they try all they can to not be. They each try and push away from each other, only to instead be like a magnet and draw closer together. Their predicament is amusing and I laughed aloud several times.
I also loved it that their personalities complemented one another. Emilie is a little persnickety, educated, refined, serious, reserved, anxious. While Jonas is calm cool and seemingly collected in his actions.
I felt that there was a great attention to details, actually meticulous, and that set a good stage for the story.
I loved the setting of this old German town in Pennsylvania. The town and its people are an interesting backdrop to Emilie and Jonas, as well as homespun and charming.
In adding brother Nathan's predicament, this of course gave the story its plot twist.


Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Bookends-Liz-Curtis-Higgs/dp/1590524373
Paperback is $10.39
Kindle is $9.87

Link for the book @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/bookends-liz-higgs/9781590524374/pd/24370
Paperback $9.99

Authors site:
http://www.lizcurtishiggs.com/
This is my favorite authors site--always a positive and cheery note from her and lovely photograph's. 

Other books by Liz Curtis Higgs:
Thorn in My Heart
Fair Is the Rose
Whence Came a Prince
Grace in Thine Eyes
My Heart's in the Lowlands
Embrace Grace
Here Burns My Candle was published in 2010 and was a finalist for Best Inspirational Romance
and the sequel---
Mine Is the Night will be available March 15, 2011
She is also the author of several books entitled Bad Girls of the Bible and Really Bad Girls of the Bible.
She has also penned several children's books.

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Miss G said…
Hi Annette, I came over from Beth's scripture memory post. I thought it would be fun to click over to at least one commenter each month and just say that we're in this together and I hope your scripture memorization is going well. I'm in TX too. :) Isn't this "springish" weather wonderful!? Have a good day! Kelly
Annette said…
Hello Kelly so happy you came by to visit. Yes, this weather is so much warmer than we had, I think I've thawed out now. But, we have overcast today, it does look like rain.
I am loving my Scripture memorization, just joyful about it. I'll talk more about it on my Sunday Salon post this Sunday.