Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon


Blog maintenance today! Time for a needed change.

How are you on this Palm Sunday early afternoon?
Today in central Texas it is clear skies, breezy, and 75 degrees.
The west Texas fire and a fire (laminate counter top warehouse) in our town that we had a couple of days ago, is still causing people to cough, especially those with asthma and other breathing problems. Today the air seems to be a little better. My husband has asthma and last night was not a good night.

In the past week I took part in a New Testament reading challenge hosted by Becky
@ Operation Actually Read Bible.
I cannot express enough what a blessing it has been to me to read the entire New Testament in 1 week--------actually for me it took 6 days.

In the past week I read:
Isaiah 58-59 for BSF
and the following for the New Testament In A Week (plus a couple of OT chapters)
Isaiah 53
Psalm 22
Matthew
Mark
Luke
John
Acts
Romans
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Galations
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians
1 Thessalonians
2 Thessalonians
1 Timothy
2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1 Peter
2 Peter
1 John
2 John
3 John
Jude
Revelation

I read different translations, I did not read in order of how the Bible has them, some days I read many books, some days I only read 2 books, never did I feel in a hurry to just get finished, but always felt led to read what I did.
I took notes as I read, often pausing to reflect and at times with tears in my eyes---
(during the readings of Isaiah 53, Psalm 22 and John and Luke's account of the crucifixion).
In the past I'd read all of the New Testament before, but never in 6 days.
There has been something very special about feasting on God's Word during these 6 days, and I'm grasping at how to fully express myself.
I have feasted this past week on the most delicious banquet of words I've ever tasted.
Instead of feeling glad to be finished, I'm ready to begin again. I will soon start with Matthew and read slower this time all of the New Testament.

Becky had asked me several questions:
Did you read as much as you hoped?
Yes, and reading faster than I thought.

Was it easier than you thought? or more difficult?
It was easier than I thought. I tried to make the most of every opportunity in reading, taking a Bible with me wherever I went.

Did it help me to read Scripture aloud? Does it help to sink it in, resonate, savor it?
Ye, to all the above.
When I read Scripture aloud I was reading it, thinking about it, hearing it, and it was resonating or echoing back to me. When reading aloud I have better concentration and my mind does not "chase rabbits". Also in reading aloud I was filling the room with His Word in praising and giving Him glory!

The Holy Spirit lives in me, but in this past week I have strongly felt His presence!

Maybe you would like to know what some of my favorite books in the New Testament are, or what are my favorite chapters or verses?
Luke, John, Romans, 1 Corinthians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Peter, 1 John--these are my favorite books.

My favorite chapters are:
Luke chapters 2, 5, 6-24. 
John chapters 1, 3, 4, 6, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20.
Romans chapters 1, 8, 10, 12.
1 Corinthians chapters 2, 13, 15.
Ephesians chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5---well all of it.
Philippians chapters 2 and 3.
Colossians chapters 1 and 3.
1 Peter chapters 1 and 2.
1 John chapters --all 5 chapters.

My favorite verses---I'll just give a couple:
"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross." Colossians 1:15-20 NIV

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account." Hebrews 4:12-13 NIV

Next:
This next week I will be finishing up Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot (a buddy read with Becky).
I'm 1/2 way finished with As Silver Refined by Kay Arthur.
Just started reading False Pretenses by Kathy Herman
and
I've also just started reading The DMZ by Jeanette Windle.



Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments

Becky said…
"Instead of feeling glad to be finished, I'm ready to begin again. I will soon start with Matthew and read slower this time all of the New Testament." Me too! I'm already wanting to begin again, again :) While I'm sure I'll read a little more OT this upcoming week than last week, I know I'll be spending lots of time in the NT! (Though I haven't decided which gospel to start with just yet!!!)
Kelly said…
So encouraged by your posts. I was "googling" on my phone "well watered garden" tryig to find where it was in the bible and I found it and you! I'm reading through luke this week and it has been so good to take in so much at once. I'm also reading "pleasures evermore" by sam storms and it sounds like something your little heart would love! Just throwing it out there. By his grace- kelly