Skip to main content

Memorizing Scripture

I came across this YouTube video of John Piper speaking on Why Memorize Scripture?


I started memorizing Scripture this past January, 2 per month. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll have at least 24 memorized. Not just blandly memorized..... but imprinted in my mind and in my heart.
I know you feel like you don't have time, or you'll do that later in your life when you do have more time, or maybe in all honesty it's just not important to you.
It's all about priorities. Those things that are important to us, we make time to do. 
The first verses I memorized in January was from 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NIV
"Therefore we do not loose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
Twice this year I've shared these verses with 2 friends that were very ill, for 1 of them it was the last thing I said to her before she went to her eternal home. I was able to share this verse with my friends because I had memorized them. We never know when we will be given an opportunity to share or minister to someone. 
Those same verses from 2 Corinthians have helped me as well, they've encouraged comforted and "lifted me" up.
"I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD."
Psalm 40:1-3 NIV

Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments