Skip to main content

Book Review: Four Devotionals I Read in 2011

"Your statues are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart." Psalm 119:111

Do you have a daily devotional time? A quiet time with the Lord? Do you set aside time every day to read God's Word?
During this last bit of 2011 I'll be sharing with my reader's a few of the devotionals that I've read this year.
The Joy of My Heart by Anne Graham Lotz
Take My Heart, Oh God written by an accumulation of various well-known women author's
Daily Light for Everyday with Anne Graham Lotz, but originally written by Samuel Bagster in 1794
Our Daily Bread a devotional magazine by Radio Bible Class Ministries 


The Joy of My Heart by Anne Graham Lotz
Published by J. Countryman a division of Thomas Nelson 2004
Hardcover
400 pages

Link for book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Joy-My-Heart-Meditating-Daily/dp/1404101160
Hardcover $11.24
Kindle $8.99

http://www.annegrahamlotz.com/store/product/joy-my-heart/
Hardcover $12.00

The Joy of My Heart is an accumulation of snippets from Anne Graham Lotz's books. The books are God's Story, My Heart's Cry, Just Give Me Jesus, The Vision of His Glory, Heaven: My Father's House, and Why?
Each day a verse is given and then a story or writing from one of these books.
The months are divided with a cover page holding a gem from Anne; for the month of January: "To Know God better is to love Him more."
This is a small book, about the length of my hand. It fits easily in to my purse. Small on size but big on spiritual depth from God's Word.


Take My Heart, Oh God--Riches from the Greatest Christian Women Writers of All Time
Produced by The Livingstone Corporation
Published by Zondervan October 2010
Hardcover--padded
400 pages

Link @ publisher:
http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/ProductDetail.htm?ProdID=com.zondervan.9780310327479&QueryStringSite=Zondervan

Link to read a sample:
http://www.zondervan.com/media/samples/pdf/0310327474_samptxt.pdf

Price at publisher $14.99


Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0310327474/zondervanpublish/103-6641593-7431018
Hardcover $10.05
Kindle $9.99

This devotional is not only divided by months but also seasons, a small colorful photograph is at the top of each page showing the current season.
A lengthy list of women writers were used to contribute to this devotional, for example: Sheila Walsh, Madame Guyon, Francine Rivers, Beth Moore, Teresa of Avila, Priscilla Shirer, Liz Curtis Higgs, Jane Austen, Fanny Crosby, and Kay Arthur.
I loved it that women from not only our current century were used in this book, but women writers from past history.
Jane Austen is beloved by women no matter their religious background. Most are familiar with her books Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion. For a person not familiar with reading devotional material, having her writings in this book makes the devotional more approachable.
Each day has a small quote from an author, for example:
"Let us never say, God has given me nothing to do. He has. It lies on our doorstep. Do it, and He will show you something else." Elisabeth Elliot
"In everything God has told us in His Word, He makes one thing very clear: He loves us. Not merely as a faceless world population, but one by one...individually and by name." Jan Karon
After the quote is an inspirational story followed by a Bible verse to read.
At the bottom of each page is a one sentence ending that is for further thought.



Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Light-Devotional-Burgundy-Leather/dp/0849954061/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324407957&sr=1-1
Boxed Set Burgundy Leather $16.49, Kindle $14.84


Published by Thomas Nelson 1998
Compiled by Samuel Bagster in 1794
Anne Graham Lotz has contributed to this book by adding her own favorite Bible verses.
816 pages

Available  On-line:
http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailylightdailypath/

Scripture is from the New King James Version

This is a beautiful burgundy leather book with gold edging.
It is completely Bible verses that correspond to the same daily theme.
No divisions for months or seasons.
There is a date at top of page stating the month and day, the left side of the page is for morning reading the right side is for evening reading.
Both Old Testament and New Testament verses are used.
At the bottom of each page are the individual Bible verses that were given.
For example for December 20 Morning:
"He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world.
That we should be holy and without blame before Him in love.
God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth, to which He called you...for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ."
(Verses taken from) Ephesians 1:4 and 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14
Since 1999 I've read through this devotional 6 times.
The primary reasons I love this book is that I'm familiar with it, comforted by it, and it appeals to me because it is entirely Scripture---the focus is on God's Word!



Our Daily Bread devotional magazine by Radio Bible Class Ministries
I first began reading this in 1993. This was my very first devotional literature. It has been quite a journey in my walk with Jesus and Our Daily Bread has ministered greatly to me. This small magazine is dear to my heart!
I continue to receive a monthly published copy in the mail. Another option is to receive it quarterly, 3 months at a time. When receiving the 3 month version the Bible verse is not given, the Scripture must be looked up on your own. The monthly version gives the complete Bible verse.
And now the Our Daily Bread can be read On-line. Included is an audio reading option!
http://rbc.org/
And on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/rbcministries
Blissful Reading!
Annette




Comments