Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon

Me about 22 months old Christmas 1965.
Good Christmas Sunday to you!
Because our children are now grown men, my husband and I sleep-in Christmas morning. I remember many times though when we would be up late in to the night Christmas Eve putting together bicycles, or wagons, or other toys for our boys. Children grow up so fast, treasure these years with your little ones!
My sister and I chatted by phone recently and discussed the special memories we have of loved ones that are now in heaven. As we grow older, hopefully, we understand the brevity of life, and the specialness of shared times with our loved ones. I miss my mother so much especially during the holidays. Mother's birthday was on the 14th, she would have been 85.
First photograph of mother and I February 1964.
My mother had Alzheimer's for at least 18 years. I was 26 years old when she first started showing signs of this hideous disease. At 26 I was just a young woman. I am blessed, immeasurably blessed, to have had a loving, gracious, dedicated, faithful mother. Mother loved the Lord, and I know she and I will see each other again.
For those readers of my blog that are grieving over the death of a loved one, I am so sorry I know this time of the year is difficult. Please trust in Jesus, let Him comfort you, it does help.
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27 NIV

Our wedding day December 18, 1982.
Yes, I know we look like children. We were. I was 18 and Jeff was 19. We recently celebrated 29 years of marriage. A marriage that in the beginning had everything going against it. Except for One important factor, God.
He has been very gracious to us. Everything rests in Him and His work. I could give a long list of things Jeff and I both did that were wrong, but I won't. What matters is that at every turn God was there encouraging us to stay the course, keep the faith, don't give up. We are blessed, and more in love now than at the beginning all those years ago.
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12 NIV

This years Christmas tree.
During the past 2 weeks I have read 1 and 2 Corinthians; 1, 2, 3 John; Jude; Revelation; and Acts 16-28.
I have completed the New Testament at least twice this year, some books 3 times. I finished the Old Testament last Spring, having started reading it in 2010. I also read Romans 10 times in 10 different translations this year.
For 2012 I'm hoping to read all the Bible in 1 year.
During Easter week I'll read all of the New Testament for a reading challenge.
I'm also planning to read Hebrews 12 times in 12 different translations.
There is a Bible Reading Challenge hosted by Tim Challies, the 3650 Challenge, they have a page on Facebook but you must be invited.
The 3650 Challenge is using Professor Horner Bible Reading System. 
I'm also a member of Becky's Bible Reading Challenge entitled Operation Deepen Faith.
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:16-17  NIV
I'm praying you will have a Joyous Christmas and a Deeper Walk with Jesus in 2012!

Merry Christmas!
Annette


Comments

Becky said…
Merry Christmas!!! And thanks for the links!!! I think I am going to try the Professor Horner Bible Reading System...at least for a month.