Skip to main content

Book Review: A Passion Redeemed, The Daughters of Boston Book 2 by Julie Lessman

Charity O'Connor is the main character in A Passion Redeemed. She is a young woman, just barely out of her teens. Most of her family has emigrated to Boston in America. Charity has stayed in Dublin, Ireland with her grandmother. The time period is on the cusp of World War I 1918-1919. Charity has an older sister Faith. Charity and Faith have had a difficult relationship since they were young children, and since book one in this series they are not speaking. Charity is bold, careless, demanding, calculating, manipulative, passionate, voracious, fiery, temperamental, does not think but reacts, and beautiful. She has set her goal, and throughout this book it is the thrust, of marrying Mitch Dennehy. Mitch is a more mature aged man, a journalist, a man that has a past history of loving women a little too much. Mitch understands his weakness, especially for Charity, he fights his lust and desire, but his fire is rekindled in her presence. Charity uses this reaction to her advantage every time. Throughout the book I kept waiting for the train wreck (so to speak) to happen. By Charity's careless determining efforts I just knew she was headed for a disastrous outcome. At no point was she willing to be patient, but wanted to be in control of the process and finished result.

I did not read book 1 in this series nor book 3. I'll probably pass on both. Before I tell you whether I liked or disliked this book, I'll let you know I've read a few heavy books lately, and am currently reading a heavy book. This I believe is the main reason I did not like or care for this book, A Passion Redeemed. I just finished reading Chris Fabry's new book Not In The Heart, which is about organ donation, death row, family dysfunction, gambling. Also I just read a heavy and deep theological book, Salvation Accomplished By The Son The Work of Christ by Robert A. Peterson. I am currently reading a non-fiction book for review on my blog @ Impressions In Ink, entitled, The Great Influenza by John M. Barry. This book is the same time period as A Passion Redeemed, but it is about the influenza that killed millions of people in the world just as World War I is finishing. I'm also watching every Sunday night Downton Abbey on PBS. As you've guessed my mind was already on the time period of Edwardian and World War I, so reading a fiction book about a supercilious and flibbertigibbet young woman got on my nerves. The books main thrust and theme is in Charity and Mitch's dialogue, and their confrontations of desire and trying to snuff it out. Charity's family back in Boston is brought in to the story in brief moments, especially worth noticing is that in the beginning of the book, Charity is referred to as "stubborn, wild, and hard to reach." I do believe the author has written a book on the errors of trying to live life on our own terms, and that disastrous results happen when we leave God out of our lives. Charity did not want to weaken herself by believing in God. She wanted to be the master of her own life. Mitch on the other hand has become a believer in Jesus, yet he is desperately grasping to God to help him leave his old self and its desires behind; unfortunately Charity keeps making her presence known in Mitch's life. So, even though I did not care for this book, it does have redeeming thoughts and teachings in story. This book did get great reviews according to Amazon, but it was me that did not like it.

Published September 2008 by Revell A Division of Baker Publishing Group, 480 pages
Christian Fiction/Love Story/Ireland/Early 20th Century

Link for book @ publisher:
http://www.revellbooks.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=0477683E4046471488BD7BAC8DCFB004&nm=&type=PubCom&mod=PubComProductCatalog&mid=BF1316AF9E334B7BA1C33CB61CF48A4E&tier=3&id=5B6E9DB421A54F259A5ACF33B231EF1D
For another review:
http://www.myfriendamysblog.com/2008/08/review-passion-redeemed-by-julie.html
Authors site:
http://www.julielessman.com/
Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Redeemed-Daughters-Boston-Book/dp/080073212X
Paperback $10.98
Kindle $9.99

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Becky said…
I wouldn't recommend reading the others. Each one seems to annoy me more than the one I went before. There is a book for each sibling, but the other characters NEVER EVER EVER go away. We're stuck forever inside the heads of each hero and heroine.
Annette said…
You made me laugh out loud. Thank you. It is true though I've been reading heavy stuff lately and that made Charity more annoying.